Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ARGH! I went into 3, yes 3, different shops yesterday to purchase one 700x27 or 700x28 tire. I came out empty handed each time! Are tires this width that uncommon? Two of the shops were smaller, more unique shops, and the third was a big box chain type bike shop.

Just wanted to vent a little!

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
fmbp said:
ARGH! I went into 3, yes 3, different shops yesterday to purchase one 700x27 or 700x28 tire. I came out empty handed each time! Are tires this width that uncommon? Two of the shops were smaller, more unique shops, and the third was a big box chain type bike shop.

Just wanted to vent a little!
27mm is not that common, but I can usually find a 28mm tire in an Armadillo or Gatorskin. My normal setup for commuting with my old wheels is a 25mm in front and a 28mm in the back. I want a larger tire due to the rough roads, but cannot fit a 28mm on the front due to fender clearance. There is not much difference between a 25 and 28mm gatorskin. I have had them side by side and had to check the sidewall to know which was which.

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
Size matters

fmbp said:
Note also that not everyone's 28 mm tire is the same width. Sometimes, tires rated as large as 32 mm are no more than 28 mm wide when inflated. What is so critical about 27 mm width?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nothing critical about a 27 per se, but I was just looking for something a little wider than a 25. The tire will go on the back wheel of my fixie commuter, so durability and resistance to pinch flats is a must.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Cannot agree more. A year or so ago I got some Panaracer Pasela 700Cx32 but they were more like 26 if you ask me(which actually was fine for me since they were just for a beater/commuter bike). I knew as soon as I got them they weren't 32mm in width. You can't always believe the width measurements given.

I also wouldn't stay up at night wondering if I had 26mm width versus 27mm width or 28mm for that matter!

Kerry Irons said:
Note also that not everyone's 28 mm tire is the same width. Sometimes, tires rated as large as 32 mm are no more than 28 mm wide when inflated. What is so critical about 27 mm width?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.