Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a rediculous idea? I was thinking it might be cool to get a Cannondale Bad Boy and switch the front 700c wheel to a 26 inch wheel. What do you guys think? Seen this done before? I know that smaller front wheels have been used on TT bikes in the past...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Eh, having done it, I wouldn't do it again. It's surprisingly (well, not really) difficult to get rid of a 650 fork and single front wheel when you're done. The bike didn't quite handle normally, but I got used to it... I think it gives the bike an aggressive look, and you meet many new people who ask you questions about it. but... eh. Kinda wish I had saved the money now.

·
Registered
302 Posts
brakes?

everst said:
Is this a rediculous idea? I was thinking it might be cool to get a Cannondale Bad Boy and switch the front 700c wheel to a 26 inch wheel. What do you guys think? Seen this done before? I know that smaller front wheels have been used on TT bikes in the past...
You'd have to run a disk brake on the front, unless you swap the fork out too - the canti bosses on the stock fork align to a 700c rim. You'd also be screwing the geometry up - I imagine it would handle like a pig as a result.

You could go Uber-fringe and go 69er - put the 26" on the back (same comment about brakes), but all in all it seems a lot of trouble to go to to screw up what is essentially a nice commuter package.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
the angles would steepen a little, maybe affecting handing... but lemme get this straight, you wanna do it cause it would be cool? look rad? this is what the old cinelli rats bikes had, but those frames were designed for it

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
... I think doing it to the Bad Boy would make for crap geometry...

As you mentioned, this is not new, but the frames where different sized wheels were used were purpose built with geometry and handling in mind (some current builders do the same for smaller women's frames).

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
People will laugh at you.....Trust me.
Besides looking silly, the change in geometry will probably cause you to crash. The small wheel with change your head tube angle from 73/74 to almost mid 80's. Talk about twitchy.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
FatTireFred said:
the angles would steepen a little, maybe affecting handing... .........
It certainly would!

Tilting the frame forward would essentially accomplish the same thing as straightening the headtube angle, which will reduce the amount of trail on the steer tire. If you have less than about 60mm of trail, the bike's gonna be almost impossible to control at speed. Tilting a frame that far will reduce the trail to somewhere around 45mm. A bike like that will get dangerously unstable over 30mph.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
It's all downhill

MR_GRUMPY said:
People will laugh at you.....Trust me.
Besides looking silly, the change in geometry will probably cause you to crash. The small wheel with change your head tube angle from 73/74 to almost mid 80's. Talk about twitchy.
All true, but with the smaller front wheel, he would always be going downhill. And that has to be faster, right?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.