Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

700x28 clincher tire widths

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Oldteen 
#1 ·
My bike came with Clement Strada LGG 700x28 but I had to replace one tire with a Continental Grand Race 700x28. My Continental tire did not have enough clearance causing it to rub against the frame. I was told by my local LBS that Continental's run slighter larger in width than my Clements. I was told to stick with my Clements but I didn't get as much wear out of them that I would have liked so I made the switch. Any suggestions on other tires that are similar in width to my Clements. I do not want to go to 25's but I have to be careful because frame clearance is tight. Thx...

#7 ·
Yeah, the GP5000 seems to be more true to size than the old GP4000, at least on "normal" 17-20mm road rims. I have a set of 32s on 19.5mm rims that's a touch over 32mm.

Another tire that I've had good luck with is the Specialized S-Works Turbo 28. On my 18mm rims, it's right at 28mm. Very durable, great ride, not too expensive, and simple tubeless setup as well.

It'd be nice if manufacturers would list the actual size based on a few different rim widths, but that's not going to happen. Luckily newer road frames can take a wider range of tire widths, so it's less of an issue these days.

#8 ·
Formerly Clement now Donnelly. You didn't seem to have a liking to those tires, maybe first experience wasn't so good. I've liked them.
I've also liked Maxxis and Vittoria.
Personally I stay away from Specialized. Too much hyped cost, and they've never lasted long for me.
I would also stay away from Hutchinson. I had a set that didn't even make a month.

#9 ·
I concur with you on all counts here.

I had a pair of Specialized hybrid tires. One developed a bubble which blew out - luckily after the end of a ride!

I had a pair of Hutchinsons which came stock on a road bike. They didn't even make 1000 miles before the rear wore out.

#15 ·
As you have discovered, the stated width of a tire often does NOT equal the width of the tire when mounted. Many makes & model tires mount wider than their stated size, particularly on some rims. Some 25's measure closer to 28 when mounted. My 25 Conti GP 4000's run 27.2 mm actual width on the wheel.

FWIW- My wife has had good luck with (Vittoria) Zaffiro Pro's. She has over 2500mi on the rear tire with limited signs of wear and (25 size) it measures 25.4mm wide on a standard 19.5mm (ext width) rim. So close to stated width.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.