Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HELP 70's British frame modern conversation SHIMANO 105

Hi all I'm new to the forum. I have a very rare Stan Pike hand made British bike. I am putting all shimano 105 group set on the bike converting it from a 10 speed to a 18 speed. I can only fit in 9 speed cassette on rear wheel. I have fitted a shimano 105 hollow tech ll BB. I just wanted to know If the shimano 105 crankset and chainring is compatible with Super Narrow 9-speed HG chain, as the rear cassette is a Shimano HG50 9 Speed Cassette. Also can shimano 105 sti brake/ gears 10 speed be used on a 9 speed cassette? Thanks liamholley

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
As far as I know any 9-speed hub will take a 10-speed cassette.

And 10-speed shifters will not work with a 9-speed cassette. The spacing between the cogs is different. Cassette and shifters have to match.
If you're getting a good deal on the 105 10-speed shifters get them and a new cassette and chain.

Try a 10-speed chain to make sure it fits on the chainrings but any newer 105 should be good.

·
Old Skool
723 Posts
Spreading the rear triangle

This sounds like a cool project. Please post pictures when you are done.

I agree with Randy99CL regarding the issues pairing 10-speed shifters with a 9-speed cassette. This will not work.

I am curious how you have handled spreading the rear triangle to accommodate the "modern" hub? The bike was built with 120mm spacing between the rear dropouts. The current standard is 130mm. If you have not already done so, you will need to cold set (read bend) the rear triangle to the new spec. This can be done. Just wondering how you did it, or plan to do it.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Here's some info on cold setting a frame:
Bicycle Frame/Hub Spacing

And running 10 speed shifters with a 9 speed cassette:
Derailer Adjustment

However, I agree that a 10 speed cassette should fit on your freehub (which you'd need to run even 9 speed).

Lastly, if you're running a 10 speed crankset, you may as well go with a 10 speed chain - even if running a 9 speed cassette.

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
I am curious how you have handled spreading the rear triangle to accommodate the "modern" hub? The bike was built with 120mm spacing between the rear dropouts. The current standard is 130mm. If you have not already done so, you will need to cold set (read bend) the rear triangle to the new spec. This can be done. Just wondering how you did it, or plan to do it.
I have spread rear ends just by installing the new wheel. After a few thousand miles what was a sticky job putting in the wheel became a "just slap it in there" situation. Apparently the frame cold set as I rode it.

·
Old Skool
723 Posts
Good to know

I have used the "jam it in and go" technique going from 126mm to 130mm. However, I have never put enough miles on that the bike cold set itself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as I know any 9-speed hub will take a 10-speed cassette.

And 10-speed shifters will not work with a 9-speed cassette. The spacing between the cogs is different. Cassette and shifters have to match.
If you're getting a good deal on the 105 10-speed shifters get them and a new cassette and chain.

Try a 10-speed chain to make sure it fits on the chainrings but any newer 105 should be good.
When bought the the Mavic wheels it came with hub on it, it said it will hold 7,8 or 9 shimano cassette, so your saying that a 10 speed will fit on that hub Or shall I remove that hub and install a bigger hub?

when I bought the rear wheel it fitting straight. Only had to pull the rear triangle apart 10mm.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So far I have sand blasted the frame, and found out the frame has welded/brazed with silver and bronze. Stan pike was know as 1 of the best frame builders in the UK.

I have wet sprayed it Ferrari Red , with black mavic wheels and red tyres.

installed a shimano 105 headset, deda adapter to covert from 1" to 1 1/8"bto fit deda stem and ITM carbon winged handle bars and a shimano 105 BB hollow tech ll

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
When bought the the Mavic wheels it came with hub on it, it said it will hold 7,8 or 9 shimano cassette, so your saying that a 10 speed will fit on that hub Or shall I remove that hub and install a bigger hub?

when I bought the rear wheel it fitting straight. Only had to pull the rear triangle apart 10mm.
I've never heard of a 7,8,9 speed freehub (8,9,10 speed, yes), but that aside, a Shimano 10 speed cassette is .7mm wider than a 9 speed, so 10 speed should work on yours (more info at the links below).

If you bring the rear wheel to your LBS, they'll probably be willing to install a 10 speed cassette to test for fit.

Yes, as was mentioned, with steel frames you can spread the rear dropouts to accommodate a 130mm hub. Cold setting means rear dropout spacing is set at 130mm's and the wheel would slip in without the need to spread.

6-speed, 7-speed, 8-speed, 9-speed, 10-speed, 11-speed?

Shimano Cassettes & Freehubs

Post pics of the build, thus far. I'd love to see it.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Yes, since it is Shimano compatible the 10-speed Shimano or Sram cassettes will work unless there is something strange about that particular Mavic hub. Obviously, just try it. I recently replaced the 8 with a 10 on my new bike.

FYI the 8, 9 and 10 cassettes are all close to the same width and that's why the shifters have to match the cassette; the spacing of the cogs is different on each. And a 7-speed is thinner and will only work on that hub with a spacer.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
FYI the 8, 9 and 10 cassettes are all close to the same width and that's why the shifters have to match the cassette; the spacing of the cogs is different on each.
Ideally, yes, but as is noted in the link below (and posted previously), with alternate (RD) cable routing, 10 speed (Shimano) shifters will work with 9 speed Shimano (or compatible) cassettes... 9 speed with 8...

Derailer Adjustment

7 speed gets trickier and generally means freewheel (versus freehub) - also mentioned in a link previously posted.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Here's a couple photos. Let me know what you think.

Liamholley's Library | Photobucket
I think it looks beautiful. Nice paint job, BTW.

Thinking more about this, rather than going 9 speed, you may want to just opt for 10. You'll be more than half way there with 10 speed shifters, crankset/ BB and chain - and there's a good chance your RD will work (making a couple of assumptions).

Also, 10 speed cassettes are more plentiful, offer more gearing options and are generally cheaper.

May be something to consider....

Here's an interchangeability chart:
Shimano Dura-Ace Compatibility

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
A couple of things come to mind.
  • Shifting may be a little problematic due to a couple of issues - clamp on DT stop & over the BB guide. Make sure the clamp is well secured & there's a sleeve over the cable to relieve friction
  • Stem & Bars are not compatible. It may be only 0.1mm but on a carbon bar it is a big no-no. Anything but a Deda stem will be fine.
  • Finally make sure that your rear dropouts are not only 130 but more importably parallel.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
ITM are 31.8mm and Deda are 31.7. It seems inconsequential but that 0.1mm on a carbon bar is not recommended. Alloy may be ok but the torque settings are made with correctly sized bars in mind. Either get an 31.8 stem or 31.7 bars.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.