Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and more .....

pictures...just finished tonight so some are not great. Need to take some professionally like Ray Dobbins ! Veloflex Roubaix tubs now fitted so I can ride it. Will also fit clipless pedals on the rare occasion it is ridden.

· Registered
11,227 Posts
that would be a stone cold killer of a bike with a different saddle. sorry, not a fan of that one (and it looks nose up in the pic).

love the quill, fork, color....

other than that, it's badass.

· Low Idiot Tolerance
465 Posts
Yeah, it's nice and all that. I still reckon bend the rear out to 130mm and slam in some Shimano Di2. :) Or put on riser bars and run it as a fixie! :)

That's just sensational. Worth the wait to acquire the right parts. I've never seen one of those Record rear derailleurs with the black body before.

So the Veloflex are just temporary for throwing down mad skids? I like the Clements, the label matches the frame colour.

The little details are sweet, like the yellow cable donuts and the yellow painted cable end crimps. Yep, I noticed the yellow dot on the end of the Cinelli bar plugs too.

Awesome stuff!

Grumps

· Registered
2,651 Posts
I agree that the Unicanitor saddle has to go. That has to be the most uncomfortable saddle ever made, in spite if the hipness factor.

The rest of the bike is great. I'd ride it instead of look at it, though. Nice attention to details.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Sure there are more elegant saddles around than the Unicanitor, but they are all way too modern. The point of the bike for me is that it was exactly as was in 1977. Campagnolo super record, Cinelli bar, stem and saddle, Nisi Rims, clement tubs and Binda straps. All of the parts are NOS, with the correct date of 77 where applicable such as crank arms, rear mech and hub lock nuts. So the saddle will stay, as I find it quite comfortable but more importantly it is correct. There are only 3 things that will change for riding from original - clipless pedals, veloflex tubs instead of the clements and a nouvo record steel bottom bracket fitted rather than the early hollow Ti super record. Cant wait to ride it !! No, not the $10,000 brakes, I am guessing they would be much earlier "no name" brakes?? These are quite rare though due to the long reach super record levers but am guessing at maybe $600 ??

· Registered
599 Posts
you'll need to ditch the campy toeclips if you're serious about correctness. they weren't available until around 1982. cinelli or ALE steel or alloy clips would do nicely tho.
anywhoo...it turned out sweet- now ride the piss outta it. guaranteed smiles.

best,
k

· Registered
2,655 Posts
Wow! Period correct!

Down to the old logo stem, flat wheel qr's and flat brake qr's. A lot if not all NOS stuff there. Impressive. Yeah, tell us about the NR rear derailleur with the black pivot pieces. I've never seen that scheme.

You might want to put some protective coating on the seta's sidewalls and good look finding another one although I see them now and then. A pair of criterium setas or d"allesandro's would be tres cool.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Caterham, the toeclips to which you refer are the 80s alloy type. These are chromed steel record and were available much earlier, mid seventies I believe - here is the link

http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=pedalmuseum.straps

The rear derailleur is a first generation super record, not nouvo record. It was distinguishable by the black pivot and titanium bolts and produced between 73/74 and 78. Cheers for the comments guys.

I have two clement Setas although not a matched tread pattern. They will not be ridden anyway so not worried about doing the sidewalls.

· We, the Mediocre...
49 Posts
Wow. Beautiful beast. Nice shots, too. Know you're proud of this one. Excellent.

- kh

· We, the Mediocre...
49 Posts
fast ferd said:
Am I the only one here thinking that you should not ride that bike? Ever?
I hope so. He's obviously planning on riding that beast and ride it he should; he wouldn't have that much seat post if not intending to hit the road. It's a repaint with components amassed from far and wide. Ride it to hearts content. Take care of it, yes. Wall hanging? No. Enjoy it on the road.

· Descender
2,213 Posts
I agree with Splorty - I would ride it sparingly - kind of a Sunday driver, special occasion thing.
He spent a long time putting that thing together with parts now in perfect condition - it would be a shame to even have normal wear and tear on some of those parts.
Secondly after all the work to get it perfect, I would be paranoid about the consequences - unless of course you have back up parts and frame waiting in the wings.
On the other hand I would have to ride it to know how it handles etc..The question is - what if when you do ride it you realize it is the perfect riding bike for you and your other ones do not compare.

Great bike, by the way.

· We, the Mediocre...
49 Posts
pdh777 said:
The question is - what if when you do ride it you realize it is the perfect riding bike for you and your other ones do not compare.
That's the great thing about this hobby. There are so many great riding bikes and while some supersede others, each of the favorites seem to have traits that stand out depending on situation or mood, even if one does stand above others. There is nothing better than pulling down some bike you've not ridden in a while to find what you loved so much about it all over again, this after declaring the previous ride as the be all, end all.

- kh

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
My thought are to ride it sparingly, a few sunny days each summer kind of thing. I also think that a bike can look too new, as this does now. I have a new 53 ring I will probably put on and keep the panto one as it is a 55 anyway, way too much for a weakling like me !! Its an interesting debate about bikes like this, should you ride them? As one poster said it is a refinish to a degree, and even though the parts are all NOS (although some have a little shop wear or the odd nick here and there) I think it is different than if the thing were found in a box with crepe paper on it, untouched since leaving the factory. It is after all, just a bike, and bikes are here to be ridden. I think it will improve with being aged by being ridden. It is not perfect, but is near as is possible without driving yourself totally mad. The lower world champ band decal is on upside down, but for a reason, I have seen a few like this, and liked the idea of this imperfection. It just works better as well. Anyway, weather permitting (this is England) I will take it for a spin tomorrow.

· Boobies!
8,181 Posts
That is an outstanding build--& I love the idea of you finally getting to realize that boyhood dream.

Bank holiday weekend isn't it? Hope you got out for a spin.

(I can't believe it was spec'd with a 55 front--I remember when I was young and strong and I had a 54t front and almost everything else around was spec'd with a 52t. Won me at least one time trial--but I don't think I could turn it over now....)

· Registered
2,490 Posts
She sure is beautiful, that is without a doubt true. I understand the argument to never ride it, however i am a fan of riding the classic stuff. Why not build up another set of wheels with reg tubulars and parts that have been around a little. That way you could still take it out and enjoy the sucker but at the end of the day you will still have a show room quality piece.

WHatever else you have done a great job.

Bill

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.