Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've had this bike hanging around for around a year, trying to come up with something to do with it.

So, since it's not really a worthy restoration project, it's going to be a road rat fixie/ss.

After much persuasion, I removed the old cottered BB out of it and hunted down what I hope is a suitable square taper replacement to fit a slightly newer (80's era) Shimano 600 crankset.

Anyway...I need to have the BB chased no matter what, but has the Italian thread standard always been the same? Will a Shimano UN70 cartridge fit in this poor old thing? Should I hunt down a more period correct BB (cup and cone)/Crank?

Or, should I turn the old Torpado into yard art, matching the same era Torpado from my youth that I ran into a parked car on?

·
Registered
330 Posts
After much persuasion, I removed the old cottered BB out of it and hunted down what I hope is a suitable square taper replacement to fit a slightly newer (80's era) Shimano 600 crankset.

Anyway...I need to have the BB chased no matter what, but has the Italian thread standard always been the same? Will a Shimano UN70 cartridge fit in this poor old thing? Should I hunt down a more period correct BB (cup and cone)/Crank?

Yeah, an Italian thread UN70 or similar will work fine. Chuck's has some generic Italian thread cartridge BB's for like six bucks that will work with the Shimano sq. tapers. The spindle is 110.5, good for a FG or SS. I just used one in a gaspipe Mondial.

http://www.chucksbikes.com/store/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts