Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a question about the dura-ace 7700 rear derailleur. Will the 9 speed derailleur still work with ten speed shifters and cassette? I was looking at it and there doesn't seem to be any diffence betwwen the 7700 and the 7800.

Thank You,
Steve

·
Registered
48 Posts
Taking it one step further, can the 9 speed D/A 7700 front derailleur also be used with the 10 speed D/A 7800 shifters, chain and cassette?

Sam

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
sam.g said:
Taking it one step further, can the 9 speed D/A 7700 front derailleur also be used with the 10 speed D/A 7800 shifters, chain and cassette?

Sam
Yes. - TF

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
drewmcg said:
Based on what I've seen on various bike forums the 9-speed front and rear double derailleurs will work well with 10-speed shifters, double cranksets, cassettes, and chains. But the front derailleurs are not backwards compatible (10-speed derailleurs on 9-speed chains) due to the narrower width, at least not to everyone's satisfaction. And the triple derailleurs are not fully cross-compatible due to the change in chainring sizes.

YMMV

Al

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
First off thats a link for a front chart.
Second the rear compatibility shows and clearly states that a 9 speed derailleur works with 10 speed.
I think Shimano needs a better chart because too many people are confused.
Shimano 9 speed derailleurs will work with just about anything, when you use them with shimano 10 speed shifters and cassettes they just bolt right on and are perfect!!! The same goes for a 10 speed shifter and cassette it will work with 9 speed rear derailleur.

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/con...ile.tmp/Rear drive road compatibility.pdf.pdf

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think you missed the it . . .

Sam G. asked about the front derailleur ("taking it one step further ..."). I referenced the rear drive chart in response to the original post. And I'm not saying it won't work (I don't know)--just that Shimano says it won't work, for the *front* derailleurs. -regards.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
mixing 9 and 10 speed( and 8 and 7)

I am currently running DA 10-speed cranks, levers and chain, Ultegra 10 speed Cassettes, with DA 9-speed deraillers. My wheels are DA 7700(9-speed) and a set of DA hubs from the 7-speed era that have been converted to 130 mm spacing with an ultraglide 8-speed cassette that will accept a 10 speed cog set. Everything shifts fine with no adjustments needed when wheels are switched.
Shimano's backwards compatibility is highly under rated. I doubt that you could convert a Campy 7 speed hub to a 10 speed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just finished up putting my dura-ace 9 speed rear derailer and a 10 speed cassette and shifters. The combination works fine and is a lot quicker shifting/smoother than my tiagra and 105 before.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We'll im not using a 7700 front derailleur im using a 6600. Shimano says that becuase of the smaller chain you need the narrower cage. But everything is working great and im really happy now. I just weighed my bike and it coming in at below 18 pounds which is nice since I wasn't trying to drop a lot of wieght and that my bike first started of over 21.

·
Registered
514 Posts
wow

Sub-18 lbs for a '04 Trek 1200 -- pretty sweet! Does the bike seem/go faster? Hills only? I have an old Bianci, and am building a new bike that should be lighter. Not sure how much difference it will make for a clyde such as myself (over 200lbs.)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The bike is a lot faster then when I first bought it, the biggest inmprovment has to be the new wheels, Bontrager RACE X LITE, going from a triple to a double made the ride alot nicer. But since im 18, still in high school and right in the middle of track season I can't ride much right now, once the summer comes around I'll be out on the road every day.

·
Registered
514 Posts
cool

I picked up a set of Bontrager Race wheels a month ago (step down from yours) and noticed a difference over an old, 36-spoke wheelset, too. Good luck with track/bike. Maybe you should consider triathalons . . . .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts