Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

My buddy Ron and I headed west/north up the coast, from Santa Monica to the Rock at Point Magu. This is a pretty common ride (I think I've even posted it before).

It was a pretty good day. 82 miles in 4:35.

To compensate for lack of pictures, I've added meaningless ride data. Enjoy!

THE MAP--The wind is always pretty brutal on the way up, as most the time you're heading
due west.

THE OBLIGATORY SATELLITE SHOT--The view is much better from the ground.

THE PROFILE--It's pretty much never flat. Only 2,600ft of overall climbing, but it definitely wears on ya.

THE MASHER--He leaves his small ring for no one!

THE COAST--For some reason I always capture PCH as this desolate, car-less, cycling oasis. That, it is not. But once
you get out into Ventura County, where we are at this shot, it's pretty damn quiet.

THE ROCK--See? Cars! (This picture brought to you by Volvo.)

THE SPLIT--Here's where they split the edge of the mountain to make room for the highway. The mountain's on the
left, the remaining, orphaned rock is on the right.

THE EDGE--Looking north/northwest from the Rock.

THE DUNE--I managed to completely NOT capture the sheer size of this wall of sand. Take my word for it: it's big.
People hike up then sled down. Looks like fun! Especially the part about landing in the middle of PCH.

·
Banned
2,231 Posts
That dune, the big one.....I used to run hill repeats up it when I was trying to figure out if I should be a runner or a cyclist.

Imagine you are driving down PCH and some guy is hurling on the side of the freeway after one to many repeats, not a pretty sight

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,254 Posts
I've hurled after running up that dune, myself. And just behind it is Sycamore Canyon, a truly wonderful mountain-biking and hiking spot.

·
Have a nice day
5,893 Posts
I have also run up that dune, and MTB'd in Sycamore. I spent 3.5 years in the Navy stationed at NAS Point Mugu, just around the corner from that rock. Wonderful place :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts