Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is really more of a question of what I should do as opposed to a tale of road rage. Lately, and I'm not sure why, drivers have been making right turns "around" me on red lights at intersections as I await a green light in the bike lane. That is, there is a one or two lane road plus a bike lane, I stop at a red light and remain in the bike lane and don't enter the crosswalk. Then, cars make right turns on the red around me by extending into the crosswalk, looking at oncoming traffic and going. I'm not a huge fan of this as I generally don't like the idea of cars being somewhat unpredictable and drivers possibly violating traffic laws to save themselves a moment of time instead of waiting to turn. However, at the same time I understand why drivers do this and I also don't think this behavior is terribly dangerous compared to so many other things going on. In addition, I do try, at times, to "accommodate" drivers by stopping far enough to the left side so that drivers can make red light rights to my right.

Today, I actually stopped in the cross walk at a red light. I was having a great ride and was not thinking so much about this. I was far enough forward that the truck behind me could not turn right on the red. The driver freaked out. I looked at him once, and did nothing. I counted 8 seconds before the light changed.

In any case, what should I be doing at these stops? If I am in the bike lane, and not in the crosswalk, cars will turn right around me. Should I care?

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
If I'm going straight I move over to the left to leave room for right turning cars to go to my right (if there's room). Sometimes if there's a car behind me and not quite enough room I'll move forward onto the cross walk to give them space, assuming no one is in the cross walk. I figure it doesn't cost me anything and it's polite.

I'd rather have the cars go to my right than to have them go around me and then we get in each other's way if the light changes before they complete their turn.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
the traffic world has plenty of good reason for cyclists to rage about. But in my opinion I do not mind allowing cars to turn right around me while I am waiting at a red light. Or do as Eric says and take the straight through lane.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Here in Ontario, a right turn on a red is permitted in most cases, except where specifically not permitted by a sign.

So, it is common, and legal, and we normally try to accommodate drivers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here in Ontario, a right turn on a red is permitted in most cases, except where specifically not permitted by a sign.

So, it is common, and legal, and we normally try to accommodate drivers.
Ditto, and I'm in Michigan. Nothing wrong with a car turning right on a red light, unless otherwise stated by a sign, and I always try to accommodate that possibility.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
I don't think the OP is debating the efficacy of right-on-red, but the idiots who are coming around him to make the right-hand turn.

If it was me, first, I'd stay out of the crosswalk. There, you're just as likely to tick off a pedestrian. Second, if you want the lane, make sure you take the lane at the intersection. If you're more to the center of the lane, cars will be less likely to try to sneak around you. You'll tick off some motorists, but you'll be in the right.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I don't think the OP is debating the efficacy of right-on-red, but the idiots who are coming around him to make the right-hand turn.

If it was me, first, I'd stay out of the crosswalk. There, you're just as likely to tick off a pedestrian. Second, if you want the lane, make sure you take the lane at the intersection. If you're more to the center of the lane, cars will be less likely to try to sneak around you. You'll tick off some motorists, but you'll be in the right.
OP neglects to say whether this is legal where he is. Perhaps it's common and tolerated? Regardless, it's not a good idea to be self-righteous about the behavior of drivers.

In any case, what should I be doing at these stops? If I am in the bike lane, and not in the crosswalk, cars will turn right around me. Should I care?
Practice self-preservation, and don't antagonize drivers. A great many serious accidents in Toronto happen with cyclists trying to pass a right-turning vehicle.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
You have bike lanes? How nice. No idea how they work.

In the world without them you don't pull to the right if you're going straight if you have a problem with cars turning around you. You pull to the left hand side or even the dead center of the straight lane and own it. You let cars turn behind you or on your right but not around you.

In your case with the bike lanes I think it's best you stay back in your bike lane and let the cars do as they do.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Like ericm979 does, I always move to the left at an intersection giving automotive traffic room to turn right. It's easy enough to move back to the right when traffic starts moving again.

Another good thing about moving out to the left at stops is being more visible to oncoming traffic and also to cross traffic. The more drivers that see me there the better my chances of getting through the intersection unscathed.

But if you ask me, this is the major draw back of bicycle lanes, intersections. I prefer to see a segregated bike lane resort to being a shared lane through intersections, making it easier to move to the left for the sake of visibility and to allow automotive traffic their right turn.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
You have bike lanes? How nice. No idea how they work.

In the world without them you don't pull to the right if you're going straight if you have a problem with cars turning around you. You pull to the left hand side or even the dead center of the straight lane and own it. You let cars turn behind you or on your right but not around you.

In your case with the bike lanes I think it's best you stay back in your bike lane and let the cars do as they do.
I don't like bike lanes myself because I think they create too much confusion in these situations, and they also uphold this "we from they" mentality between motorists and bicyclists. If I'm going straight at an intersection, I just take the whole lane. If there is only one lane each way, then I'll scoot far left to the double yellow so people turning right can still go around me, but it also lets everyone else know I'm continuing straight.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
This is an interesting question. As I sat here and thought about it, I realized what I say I would do and what I actually do, are completely different.

What I say I do: I move forward and as far to the left of the bike lane as possible. However, I realized that this is what I do only if I'm in a regular lane.

What I actually do: I take the middle of bike lane and say the driver can wait before they turn. This may be due to the fact that the driver might have a hard time going to my right to make the right turn. It definitely has to do with the fact that the driver would be traveling through the bike lane with the potential to hook a bike rider coming up behind me.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Around here, most bike lanes go dotted and disappear at intersections.

In those cases I get out of the "bike lane" and move to the left lane allowing cars to turn right. When the light turns green I look back, move back to the right, and catch the bike lane as I cross the intersection. I've had no issues doing that.

When there is no bike lane and I come to a red light, I take up the whole lane, right smack in the middle. When the light turns green I again, look behind me and move to the right to let traffic pass.

Lastly, what was the road rage part? Did you get yelled at?

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
Were I live right on red (ROR) is allowed. When on the bike I always tend to take note of if I'd be blocking the car behind me from doing ROR and let them go. Most drivers I encounter actually are pretty cool about being careful. It's simply not an issue for me. Truth is when I'm driving my car and not going ROR myself and I notice a car approaching from behind with a right signal on I'll pull forward (if I can do so safely) to let them go. I guess I'm just like that. Karma, what you give is what you get, something along those lines I guess

Reactions: n2deep

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
if I'm not turning right, I don't stop in the turn lane.

I just move over to the far right edge of the lane that continues straight thru the light.

seems like the courteous thing to do.

·
Registered
916 Posts
"Right turn on a red is permitted" is not enough. What does the law in Ontario say about lanes that are permitted/prohibited as starting lanes for a right turn?

In California, for example, right turn on red is allowed as well. However, California Vehicle Code explicitly states that if the road is equipped with a bike lane, cars are required to enter the bike lane (to "take" the bike lane) within 200 ft before the turn, and perform the turn from the bike lane (as close to the curb as practically reasonable). In California it is illegal to make a right turn from the rightmost "car" lane, if the road has a bike lane.

The purpose of this law is to prevent "right hook" collisions between cars and cyclists. Of course, this law is widely violated in practice.

And, if the bike lane is taken by a cyclist waiting for a green light to go straight, then a legal right turn on red becomes formally impossible, unless there's another car lane (a dedicated right turn lane) to the right of the bike lane.

Fortunately, on the roads I ride, most of the time that extra car line does exist. I.e. most of the time there's enough room to the right of me for cars to make their right turn on red. Although I notice that some drivers are sometimes reluctant to "squeeze" by me (mindful of the 3 ft law, perhaps?) until I wave them through.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I hug the car to my left and wave the car though. Or I'll get in or in front of the line of cars going straight. Sometime for what ever reason nothing seems right and I'll gesture to the car in a way to tell them, sorry, nothing I can do here. I've never really given it much thought and it's never been an issue, it's not complicated to let someone go by and the few times it is they seem to have always understood why and appreciate that I at least considered it and gestured I can't help.

If I was in a really bad mood and wanted to be a jerk to take it out on someone I'd look at the car wanting to go right, just to let them know I know what I'm doing, and starting counting the seconds I was pissing someone off.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I usually stop 100' behind the intersection on red light . I have yet to get hook once by the right hand turn vehicle .

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
I hug the car to my left and wave the car though. Or I'll get in or in front of the line of cars going straight. Sometime for what ever reason nothing seems right and I'll gesture to the car in a way to tell them, sorry, nothing I can do here. I've never really given it much thought and it's never been an issue, it's not complicated to let someone go by and the few times it is they seem to have always understood why and appreciate that I at least considered it and gestured I can't help.

If I was in a really bad mood and wanted to be a jerk to take it out on someone I'd look at the car wanting to go right, just to let them know I know what I'm doing, and starting counting the seconds I was pissing someone off.

^^^^ this. I ride with a lot of cars in NJ. You must make peace. You must communicate when it gets weird, and it does. Effective communication, including your physical positioning is the most important thing at intersections. It's rare for a driver to freak out on me if I've communicated with them. It happened once last year. And I was on edge and contributed my share, inappropriately, to the exchange. And, as a peeve, if you don't communicate with me at the stop by using turn signals then all bets are off... I'm not moving anywhere if you don't tell me what you want to do. Communication is huge!

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
I make it a point throughout life to not be in people's way. Someone walking down the sidewalk, I step to the side. Someone surfing down the line, I paddle into the foam. Someone looking to take a right at a red light, I wait back enough that they can or I wait in the edge of the "going straight" lane. What you're doing is putting yourself in people's way when you could avoid it with a little effort. If I was one of the drivers waiting for you I wouldn't yell but I'd tell my girlfriend that you're an idiot and the reason people hate cyclists.

If everyone would put a little effort into accomodating each other instead of basing descisions on what they're entitled to the world would be a happier place. I think that would be called "courtesy".

1 - 20 of 31 Posts