Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any reasons for going 8-speed Dura-Ace/Ultegra over 9-speed? 10-speed is out I am afraid.

I am looking at a set of good condition 8-speed Dura-Ace components incl the STI, and because I thought that my 8-speed MTB components (XTR M-900) were really solid and gave me many years of riding as opposed to the new-fangled cheese 2003 XTR chainrings, I am considering getting them over the 9-speed components.

Are the 8-speed Dura-Ace components more durable than the 9-speed components? Or are they the same, and I might as well get the 9-speed?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
fisherman said:
Are there any reasons for going 8-speed Dura-Ace/Ultegra over 9-speed? 10-speed is out I am afraid.

I am looking at a set of good condition 8-speed Dura-Ace components incl the STI, and because I thought that my 8-speed MTB components (XTR M-900) were really solid and gave me many years of riding as opposed to the new-fangled cheese 2003 XTR chainrings, I am considering getting them over the 9-speed components.

Are the 8-speed Dura-Ace components more durable than the 9-speed components? Or are they the same, and I might as well get the 9-speed?

Thanks!
8 speed Dura Ace is bullet proof. Parts availibility would be the only reason not to go 8 speed. New old stock 8 speed parts are getting hard to find. That being said, most of the shimano 9 speed parts work just fine with 8 speed. If the 8 speed STI shifters crap out, 9 speed STI's are designed to work with 8 speed Dura Ace. I've used 9 speed shifters on an 8 speed Dura Ace drivetrain and they shift perfectly..

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
question.

You can use 9spd with existing 8spd parts, but, you can't use 8spd parts you have to build up with 9spd parts you are getting? I mean, if you have to replace 8spd you can use 9spd, but not vice versa. I'm not sure what parts fisherman has already.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just have the frame/fork/headset, and am still in the process of choosing the component group. An acquaintance wants to upgrade to 10-sp and offered me his 8-sp groupset which in very good condition.

The reason why I was even thinking about the 8-sp components (I knew that availability of NOS stuff was pretty limited) was that I had very good experience with the 8-sp XT/XTR components which seem to last forever. I was wondering if the same applied to the 8-sp road group like Dura-Ace or even Ultegra.

Good to know that I can use 9-sp shifters on 8-sp components. That was a big IFFY for me because NOS Dura-Ace 8-sp STI shifters seem to be rarer than hen's teeth!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
fisherman said:
I just have the frame/fork/headset, and am still in the process of choosing the component group. An acquaintance wants to upgrade to 10-sp and offered me his 8-sp groupset which in very good condition.

The reason why I was even thinking about the 8-sp components (I knew that availability of NOS stuff was pretty limited) was that I had very good experience with the 8-sp XT/XTR components which seem to last forever. I was wondering if the same applied to the 8-sp road group like Dura-Ace or even Ultegra.

Good to know that I can use 9-sp shifters on 8-sp components. That was a big IFFY for me because NOS Dura-Ace 8-sp STI shifters seem to be rarer than hen's teeth!

Thanks!
Yep, I'm amazed at the prices people pay for 8 speed STI's. I think the 9 speed DA STI's are the one improvement over the 8 speed group. You connect the cable to the rear derailleur exactly as you would for 9 speed. One click of the shifter when using an 8 speed DA rear moves the derailleur for 8 speed spacing and one click of the of the shifter when using a 9 speed rear derailleur, moves the derailleur for 9 speed spacing. It is pretty smart if you ask me. The 8 speed Dura Ace rear derailleur has a different geometry than 9 speed Shimano rears so each click moves the rear derailleurs a different amount.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts