Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

My 10 year old son is going to be riding his first live strong challenge with me in a couple weeks. This will be my 3rd time on the ride in Philly. The ride is very hilly and he is on a trek ds1000 (?) i think thats the model. It has a double crank with an 8sp on the back. The easiest gear he has is a 26 on the back. Can I go up to a 28 with a short cage der on the back. I am trying to give him a little easier gear. He does ok with the current set up but 45 hilly miles may require an easier gear for him.

Thanks for any info.

Josh

·
Registered
232 Posts
Despite the Shimano short cage derailleurs having a "maximum" of a 27 tooth gear, I've ran up to a 30 tooth without any major issues on a 9 speed drivetrain.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,046 Posts
I use that 11/28 and it BARELY but does work with an 8 speed Ultegra short cage derailleur. I'm not sure about newer derailleurs but it would probably work as well. I highly doubt the 32 would work.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply
I figured the 32 would not work. I will go with the 28 and give him a little easier gear for the hills. I expect he will be pushing the bike alot anyway but he will have a ball. We are training on all hills right now to prepare him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.