Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother wants to upgrage his 8 speed shimano to 10 speed. Would it be possible to swap out his freewheel body with one that will accept a 10 speed cassette? The hubs are dura ace if it matters.

Thanks

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
HillMan said:
My brother wants to upgrage his 8 speed shimano to 10 speed. Would it be possible to swap out his freewheel body with one that will accept a 10 speed cassette? The hubs are dura ace if it matters.

Thanks
An HG 8-speed hub is the same as a 9 or 10-speed. All he needs is shifters, cassette (with spacer that goes behind - the 10-speed cassette is actually more narrow), chain and chainrings (8-speed rings are probably too thick).

And people complain about the 'planned obsolescence" of Shimano.

TF

·
Trænger til hjælp
138 Posts
I have just done that conversion.
You might also have to change the FD. The 8 spd is a bit wider, so it is a bit harder to adjust. I could not do it. If I adjusted it so it would shift proberly onto the big ring, I would get chaing rub when I was on the small ring and on the bigger cogs in the rear. The other way around, with no chain rub when I was on the small ring, I could not get it to shift probely onto the big ring.
Any way, have at 10 spd FD now, and the problem is gone.

Regards Anders

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Can I be reasonably certain the cassette is an HG one? What if the hub was converted from 6 or 7 speed to 8 speed? Would it be possible (or necessary) to change the freewheel body in that case? This bike was built from a bunch of parts my cousin had lying around about 3 and a half years ago and I don't know the history on any of them. What should I look for on the hubs or cassette?

Thanks

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
HillMan said:
Thanks for the replies. Can I be reasonably certain the cassette is an HG one? What if the hub was converted from 6 or 7 speed to 8 speed? Would it be possible (or necessary) to change the freewheel body in that case? This bike was built from a bunch of parts my cousin had lying around about 3 and a half years ago and I don't know the history on any of them. What should I look for on the hubs or cassette?

Thanks
The HG has a lock ring that screws into the end of the freehub body and takes a splined tool to remove. On a pre-HG hub the small cog screwed on the outside of the freehub body. Many would accept both during the transition years. Early HG hubs will not take an 11 tooth cog (min of 12) without modification.

The 7-speed hub will not take the wider 8/9/10-speed cassettes. If it is a 7-speed, the freehub body can be switched out though you probably can find whole hubs way cheaper than freehub bodies.

8-speed freewheels also exist (though rare). If it is a freewheel, start over.

Check these for much more detail:
http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#transplant
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html

TF

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.