Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Done
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Going through some crap in my dresser drawer, I came across some old swimming ribbons from when I was 8 years old. Coincidentally, our local neighborhood swim team - the same team that I swam for when I was a mere tadpole - just finished up its season last weekend. They had a good year - Division 5 champions in NVSL, undefeated, yada yada yada.

So...it got me thinking...how would I fare against the current swimmers on the team if I was an 8 year old today? The answer: surprisingly well.

I'm still involved with the team (my son swims) so I wrote about it here:

http://teamlardbutt.wordpress.com/

It is primarily written for the team parents (and it needs editing), but y'all will get the general idea...

·
Proud luddite
7,192 Posts
The main difference between 8 y.o.'s now and 8 y.o.'s 41 years ago, other than the fact that you are nearly 50 and therefore really really old, is that 8 y.o.'s now are doing drugs and having babies.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
azpeterb said:
The main difference between 8 y.o.'s now and 8 y.o.'s 41 years ago, other than the fact that you are nearly 50 and therefore really really old, is that 8 y.o.'s now are doing drugs and having babies.
DAMN lucky 8 year olds!!! Bet they aren't spending money on fertility treatments to have babies!!

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
I cannot comment on the swimming part of your piece, but you evoked a kid's perceptions of 1969 perfectly. I was 11, rather than 8, in the summer of 1969, and was living a few miles up I-95 from where you were. Otherwise, what you wrote is exactly what I remember of that epoch.

·
Done
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MarkS said:
I cannot comment on the swimming part of your piece, but you evoked a kid's perceptions of 1969 perfectly. I was 11, rather than 8, in the summer of 1969, and was living a few miles up I-95 from where you were. Otherwise, what you wrote is exactly what I remember of that epoch.
It's funny, but that summer is one that I really remember. My neighborhood was populated by federal government workers and military personnel, with lots of WWII or Korea vets thrown into the mix. As would be expected from this demographic, hippies were not viewed upon with any sort of fondness. We lived across the street from some woods where a group tried to set up a commune of sorts. This group, who declared themselves to be "The Creek People," dragged some tents and couches into the woods, laid in a supply of Boones Farm wine, and commenced to explore the possibilities of free expression, nudity, and prolonged public intoxication. It lasted about a week. "Youth Counselors" from the County tried to set up a "rap session" with them to explain why the neighbors were "deeply bummed" that they had set up a working model of Haight Ashbury in their neighborhood. The police and a fundamental lack of sanitation eventually drove them out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts