Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding for over 10 years and always heard that tire pressure should be in the 100-120 range or more. I was told recently by an avid cyclist (that races) that he does training rides on 60-80 PSI at times and it has no (or little) effect on speed. He isn't a big rider (approx 140 lbs). He's an intelligent fellow and has been riding for many years so it made me take notice.

If it makes little difference, a rec rider like me would be well served to run low pressure as the ride would be more comfortable. What is your opinion?

Thanks in advance.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
80's way low. He probably pinch flats fairly regularly. 60... wow!

I'm 150 pounds and I run 90-105... Usually 95-105. Below that is asking for pinch flats.

Lower PSI actually allows the tire to conform to the road surface better, thereby resulting in a lower rolling resistance - given that you're still at a reasonable pressure.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
What size tires? how much do you weigh?

The danger with going too low is pinch flatting, the larger the tire and the lower your weight the less likely you will to pinch flat and the lower you can go.

I'm 160 and run 23's at 110, and 28's at 75.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
You didn't say what size tire.

I'll assume you ae talking about 700x23 which I guess is the most common size for a road bike.

Several years ago, I dropped my tire pressure from the 120 range to 100 front, 105-110 back. It made a huge difference in the ride quality and didn't slow me down at all. I weigh 165.

80 pounds seems too low. You could try it, but if you start getting pinch flats, you would need to increase the pressure.

There has been a lot of discussion on tire pressure the last few years. I think everyone ran too much pressure before that.

Here's a chart from Michelin that shows optimum pressure based on weight.

http://www.michelinbicycletire.com/michelinbicycle/index.cfm?event=airpressure.view

·
Registered
100 Posts
I wouldn't go below whats printed on the sidewall as the minimum pressure, typically 90-100 psi. I know that the Michelin Pro series comes with a chart on the packaging showing what pressure a person of a given weight should be running, but I'm sure its no harm to go a little below that.

Pressure, of course, has a huge impact on ride comfort. However, as others have said... I'd be scared shitless to tear around a corner on 60 psi of 23mm goodness. The tire probably wouldn't let go of the bike, but it would really feel noodly and unstable.

·
Registered
738 Posts
It depends on the tire you're running of course but that's pretty low pressure for your avg road tire. I weigh in at about 215 lbs and run 115-120 psi in my 23c road tires. If I ran as low as 60-80 psi I'd be afraid I'd flatten those skinny tires with my weight...and probably ding a rim on a sharp edge bump as I pinch-flatted.

Bottom line is...depends on a few variables.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
That sounds mighty low. I run on the low side of the recommended but never below the min recommended pressure. I weigh 170 and run 100psi on my Pro2 Michelins. Too low = pinch flats,rolling off the rim and lost speed, Too high=rough ride, flats and lost speed. You'll be faster and have less flats with the correct pressure.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
80 pounds might be rideable to get you back home, but too low for normal tire pressure.
Look on the sidewall for max and min psi. I bet it says low is 100 psi or close to it. Of course it depends on the tire.

·
Registered
520 Posts
of course, the less you weigh and the wider the tire the less pressure you can get away with. i stick to about 100psi on 23mm and i weigh 165. i couldn't imagine running that size tire at 60 psi... i'm curious as to his reasoning. maybe it works because he is a light guy? i don't know... i certainly wouldn't recommend it.

G

·
I run front tires in the 90 to 95 range.

Rears I run the 100 - 110 range.

These numbers are only as good as the guage on my floor pump.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Minimum pressure?

Ape0r said:
I wouldn't go below whats printed on the sidewall as the minimum pressure, typically 90-100 psi.
Where do you find this 90-100 psi minimum pressure? I've seen pressure ranges occasionally, but most often only the max. Conti puts no such number on the GP 4000. The standard recommendation is to run your tires at 90-100, and if you get pinch flats, then get wider tires.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
The standard recommendation is to run your tires at 90-100, and if you get pinch flats, then get wider tires.
Works for me.Somebody told me this 25 years or so ago, when I was a fairly new rider running 115-120psi in 27X1 tires (this was before 700c came to the US). I went to 1-1/4 tires at 90, and it was an immediate improvement.
FWIW, I weigh 240, and my riding is split between two bikes, one with 700x35s at about 75 psi and the other with 27mm Ruffy Tuffys at 95. No pinch flats ever.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Um so, I have Michelin Pro1 tires and I think they are rated for 75- 80 psi tops. Last week someone pumped them up to about 120 psi. They rode ok and still feel a bit sodt which I imagine is a trait of the tire. SO I'm about 200 lbs. Are these things gonna hold or blow
out on me a t that high a psi and being overinflated past whats recommended? They are 700x25c. And if thats too much should I be getting a different tire? I have to admit for me these tires feel a little better over inflated.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Min psi

Kerry Irons said:
Where do you find this 90-100 psi minimum pressure? I've seen pressure ranges occasionally, but most often only the max. Conti puts no such number on the GP 4000. The standard recommendation is to run your tires at 90-100, and if you get pinch flats, then get wider tires.
Lot's of manufacturers list a minimum psi on the sidewall. I just bought some Specialized (23) tires . They have a minimum recommended psi of 120 and a maximum of 130. My old Michelin Krylion carbons (25's) had a min recommended psi of 80 and a max recommended of 103. I think the old Conti tires used to list a minimum recommended psi. I stopped using them since they stopped making the Ultra 2000.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.