Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may pull the trigger on 20+ year old frame with newish Ultegra components with STI shifters. Wheels are CXP 22's . The problem is I don't know what it's worth. I'm not a collector obviously, just looking for a comfortable Italian steel beauty for training rides. Does $500 sound about right? Low/High?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Which frame, "Super Record" or "Professional"? The Super Record is one of the best handling frames I've ever ridden. These were built into the early 80's. Can't speak for the ride of a Professional but to me they are not as attractive, with the ugly cable routing grommets, and boring fork crown. Price would depend on the condition of the frame because the parts you describe are pretty worthless. Fine for your intent, but not doing anything for the value as a "classic" bike. If it's a Super Record with excellent paint I would pay the $500, if it's a clean Pro I would pay half of that. I guess it could be the "Aero" model as well? If so somewhere in that ballpark as well.

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
I also think it really depends on condition and to some degree the model. the older the model, usually the higher the cost. and $500 for a complete bike is not too unreasonable for really any of the models in good condition.

The ride of the professional and the super records i think are pretty similar. The aero feels like it rides "lower", more stable in a way then the other too. kind of hard to describe. though i haven't spent much time on Pro, i didn't think it felt much different then the SR.

Each model has the name somewhere on the frame. If they don't, some tell-tale signs.

Records and some early SR's (pre-'78) had chrome forks with the Gios (Gt) logo on the crowns. They also had the logo cut-out under the bb.

SR's from '78-'84 had little 'coins' or 'medallions' in the fork crown

Pros' ('84+) had internal rear brake cable routing and "Gios" panto'd on the fork crowns. Sometimes the forks were chrome, sometimes they are painted to match.

Aero's('81-'82) have flattened rear stays, sloping fork crown. they also came with silver seat and down tube panels.

pic of latter 3. unfortunately the red one is no longer with us :( was wrecked and damaged not long after these pictures were taken.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You can see a picture of my recently acquired Gios Aerodynamic on Fixed Gear Gallery #2901 - mine has SR type forks with the medallions in the crowns. I paid about $160 for the frame attached to some junk parts. A guy I ride with, having just seen my new acquisition yesterday offered me a Gios Compact circa 1992 complete with 9 speed Chorus gruppo for just over $300 - it's easily worth a lot more but he wanted space. As it was my size, I couldn't turn it down so I now have 2 Gios in the space of a couple of weeks! They both handle really well - the Aero making a fantastic fixed wheeler, having clocked over 500km in it's first week, including a couple of 20 percent hills whilst on group rides.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts