Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Trouble
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow. An 1984 Olympics Murray bike currently only going for 100. Not sure if this is an actual Olympic bike or a homage one. Not sure if this is a Serotta made one or not. Would not be posting but bidding if I were not moving soon.

Look at this on eBay racing bike trainer used in 1984 olympics

Sent from my B3-A20 using Tapatalk

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,424 Posts
Since it obviously has schrader valves, no, it's not an actual 'olympics bike'. Probably a cheapo with stickers-worth $100 only if it's in really good shape. Probably weighs a ton....

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Huh. Where do you see a size? Odd mix of parts.

It does say only the frame is legit.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
The parts are spot on - Campy Super Record which is what the US Olympic team rode. The FD has been replaced but every thing else (except the saddle) is what I would expect to see on a high end bike from '84. The wheels were probably replaced by someone who didn't want to deal with the tubulars I'm sure were originally on it.

It looks to be in the neighborhood of a 56. You can tell by the head tube size.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Wow, interesting.

So this is a Serotta bike frame with Murray logos on it? It's almost some kind of parallel universe thing. If it were a Murray frame with Serotta stickers on it, we'd all be calling for his/her head! :p

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Since it obviously has schrader valves, no, it's not an actual 'olympics bike'. Probably a cheapo with stickers-worth $100 only if it's in really good shape. Probably weighs a ton....
That bike's for real. Look at the fork crown, lugs, seat stay bridge and seat stay ends and compare them to any Murray you've ever seen. And as been said, all the Campagnolo with the matching "patina".

If it was my size I'd be all over it.

Another thing is the number mount on the top tube.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
worth $100 only if it's in really good shape...
looks like it has a campy nr crankset and brakeset with other mid level suntour and cinelli.

so if you're looking for that stuff to put on a new build, this would make a nice donor.

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
starting to get some action on bidding now...

Looks right, size is may be 56+ so I am out...but man...
if the seller dropped a few names on this add it would have gotten more attention. As it is, someone going to walk away with a decent deal.

Then again, the classic road market is not what it was a few years ago, but this one is a piece of cycling history....I'd love to own this one in a 54/55 and ride it for another 20 years.

Young riders may not be as familiar with Murray and Huffy. Most mid-agers don't know about their attempt to grab a piece of the high end market by throwing $$ at the US Cycling team in exchange for having their badge on their frames.

Attachments

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Needs tubes and tires...well forget it then...

The seller confirmed it's a 56. Also said it needs new tubes and tires.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Na just kidding. This bike is akin to finding a Merckx (Armstrong ridden)
Maybe even better (Alexi Grewal, Steve Bauer, Dag Otto Lauritzen? and possibly Davis Phinney?)

I guess the retro thing is over or something. This is a custom built (for someone on the team) racing machine. Not an off the shelf top end bike but fully custom.

I don't know if the listing is just so poorly done, or if the possible hundreds of dollars to ship is the reason, but this frame should sell for >$800 or it would have a few years ago.

The seller prefers local pick up and the listed shipping cost is not what he wants...figure $150+ for US shipping.

If I was 3 hours closer, I would buy this thing.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Na just kidding. This bike is akin to finding a Merckx (Armstrong ridden)
Maybe even better (Alexi Grewal, Steve Bauer, Dag Otto Lauritzen? holly cow! and others like Davis Phinney?)

I guess the retro thing is over or something. This is a custom built (for someone on the team) racing machine. Not an off the shelf top end bike but fully custom.

I don't know if the listing is just so poorly done, or if the possible hundreds of dollars to ship is the reason, but this frame should sell for >$800 or it would have a few years ago.

The seller prefers local pick up and the listed shipping cost is not what he wants...figure $150+ for US shipping.

If I was 3 hours closer, I would buy this thing.
The price could very easily go up. There have been 7 bids and there are almost 3 days left, so anything is possible.

And as far as the poorly done listing, for Petes sake the owner switched out the wheels, or drilled out the valve holes for schraeder valves and let the bike go to seed. I don't think this person is really aware of what the bike is. Didn't even take the time to clean it up for the sale. We're probably lucky that it just didn't end up in the trash.

If it was my size I'd sure put in a bid, but as it is I hope that someone gets a screaming deal because I'd hate to see the present owner make a killing on it, after the way it's been treated.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
The reason the auction is light on details is because the seller doesn't really know anything about bikes.

I asked a couple of basic questions about size and condition, etc.. The answer I got was basically "I'll have to take to to my shop". Then the email I got later said 'They said "56 and it needs to new tubes and tires"'.

I'm guessing it's probably an estate/inheritance/hand me down bike.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts