Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure if this is considered a great bike or if its a collectible or classic, but i saw it on CL and couldn't pass it up. Its a 63cm(bottom bracket to top of the seatpost) Top tube is 57, fits me well. I'm over 6' 1". Its got a Turbo seat, besides that, everything is original. full Shimano 600 6207 group.

Definitely needs a tune up. My buddy and I are gonna take a few hour and overhaul it. Take everything apart, re grease and put it back together. It desperately needs new cables but still shifts surprisingly well. Still rides smooth.. Araya 20a 700c wheels are built like a tank and are straight..

ill take some new pics after i clean her up in a week or two..here are the sellers pics from the CL ad..He wanted $240, got it down to $200 flat.

View attachment 209784

View attachment 209785

View attachment 209786

View attachment 209787

View attachment 209788

i just bought a 57cm Univega Gran Rally last week. Clean.. probably gonna sell it to my buddy who is 5" 10" and is starting to get into cycling. Some components (Cranks and RD) seem to be in better shape than my Bridgestone... Probably gonna do a switcheroo before selling to my buddy. :p

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
I miss the days when...

no body wanted old steel bikes and they were given away or at the most $50 buckaroos.

However, I'd agee, you did good. This looks like a keep'er, keep'er original and keep'er on the road for many more years.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
either you're measuring inaccurately or it's got a short tt. regardless, it kinda looks oddly proportioned... maybe because the stem and bars look small for the size- are those original? maybe we're seeing the beginning of rivendell sizing

·
Registered
10 Posts
bicyclerepairman said:
Route the cables above & behind the handlebar, not below & in front. The stem does look short, but it might be right for the new owner.

curious why you would do that, wouldn't they be in the way when you are riding it ?

based on what Bridgestone stuff is going for on ebay these days, yes, that is a
fantastic deal ( assuming you like 80's steel bikes...)

·
Registered
612 Posts
countludwig said:
curious why you would do that, wouldn't they be in the way when you are riding it ?.....
I do that because:

For the front brake, the cable describes a more pleasing parabola free of the angle created as the cable contacts the bar.

More importantly, for the rear brake, the cable has no means of support. After months of riding over bumps, the cable gets droopy after so many flex cycles, with the cable's entry into the brake lever becoming a stress point and beginning to act like a hinge. Routed behind the bar, the cable is supported preventing downward flex. 10 years later the cable looks just as good as when first installed.

The cables would only be in the way if I was trying to read the brand name on the stem while negotiating traffic.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
-not sure if the geometry is really off... the TT is 57.5, the seat tube is 63.5 according to the geometry chart on the catalog. The angles are very road bikeish..i think newer style tri bikes have like 78-80 degree seat angles. This one is 74ish..which i believe is the norm.

-Stem is def a lil short. Will change to longer one from the univega i have.

-when i take this baby apart ill try the brake cable re route. Makes sense.

-its not that i like 80s steel bike best, its that for a new road biker, thats all i can afford right now. i have an 05 stump jumper i use to MTB. That gets more of my money. :)

Im really looking forward to overhauling this thing..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how upgradeable are "vintage " down tube steel bikes with todays components??

Looking specifically at the newer style break levers and shifter setups and dereailur setups. . I have a buddy who has 09 ultegra stuff but wants to upgrade to SRAM gear. siad he would sell me his ultegra stuff cheap.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thats very cool.. just for my own personal knowledge, what is not easily switchable to newer stuff.. the bottom bracket, headset, stem??

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
jton219 said:
not sure if this is considered a great bike or if its a collectible or classic, but i saw it on CL and couldn't pass it up. Its a 63cm(bottom bracket to top of the seatpost) Top tube is 57, fits me well. I'm over 6' 1". Its got a Turbo seat, besides that, everything is original. full Shimano 600 6207 group.

Definitely needs a tune up. My buddy and I are gonna take a few hour and overhaul it. Take everything apart, re grease and put it back together. It desperately needs new cables but still shifts surprisingly well. Still rides smooth.. Araya 20a 700c wheels are built like a tank and are straight..

ill take some new pics after i clean her up in a week or two..here are the sellers pics from the CL ad..He wanted $240, got it down to $200 flat.

View attachment 209784

View attachment 209785

View attachment 209786

View attachment 209787

View attachment 209788

i just bought a 57cm Univega Gran Rally last week. Clean.. probably gonna sell it to my buddy who is 5" 10" and is starting to get into cycling. Some components (Cranks and RD) seem to be in better shape than my Bridgestone... Probably gonna do a switcheroo before selling to my buddy. :p
I have a Univega Gran Rally too that I want to sell. It has the earlier Shimano 600 than the one on your Bridgestone. I'm trying to put a price on it for CL.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got that Univega for $250.. it was really clean and the guy said he completely tore the bike apart to rebuild/grease it.. so i paid a little premium.. I didnt have to do anything cept get on and spin. This bridgestone needed a lil work. cables rusted ect.

i think the only other shim 600 older than this one is the Abaraquse one with the engravings. Those are nice too.

200 final would sound reasonable to me.. The fixie crazy is driving prices up.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
jton219 said:
I got that Univega for $250.. it was really clean and the guy said he completely tore the bike apart to rebuild/grease it.. so i paid a little premium.. I didnt have to do anything cept get on and spin. This bridgestone needed a lil work. cables rusted ect.

i think the only other shim 600 older than this one is the Abaraquse one with the engravings. Those are nice too.

200 final would sound reasonable to me.. The fixie crazy is driving prices up.
Thanks for the info. This bike has the Abaraquse and is in super shape , other than needing new gum hoods. It's like the bike has no miles on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
High Gear said:
Thanks for the info. This bike has the Abaraquse and is in super shape , other than needing new gum hoods. It's like the bike has no miles on it.
I was told when I started buying bikes never to pass up Abaraquse. I love old rarer Shimano 600 stuff, and just lucked in to a bike with Shimano 600 tri color.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
hamanu23 said:
I was told when I started buying bikes never to pass up Abaraquse. I love old rarer Shimano 600 stuff, and just lucked in to a bike with Shimano 600 tri color.
I put it up on CL last night for $175. We'll see what happens. I don't think this bike has been ridden much and just needs a good cleaning, front tire and some new gum hoods. BTW, are those hoods hard to come by and are they expensive?
Some pics of the old gal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts