Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an 86 Cannondale frame. It 23” ,inches in those days, I guess. Its actually pretty complete and is in nice shape-bright red with Suntour Accushift ( XPD 600 rear, Lepree front). Surgino cranks, Diacomp aero levers and Shimano 600 brakes.

. It even has the drilled aluminum rear rack I am missing the wheel set (I have 2 6spd. sets I can use) saddle (extras here too) and the front fork.

Does anyone know the model? The only marking (other than Cannondale) is the size, in in” on the seat stay.

Sr# is 23040386543

I am also wondering about fork recommendations. This originally came with a chr-mo fork correct?

I was thinking of either getting a chr-mo fork or Performance has a carbon fiber for about $150 with threadless head set and stem. This is my first aluminum road bike. I also have a Cannondale ex police bike and several steel Bianchi, Olmo, etc. Is the carbon fork worth the extra $$s and the weight savings and ride? Or should I stay retro. It will be used recreationally.

I have been looking for used, but I want it to look right, plus I am getting itchy having this out in the garage. Unable to do anything on it is killing me. I am anxious to get this bike under me and find out what this bike is famous/infamous for.

Thanks

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
call 1800BIKEUSA (cannondale) with the serial # and they can tell you what model, what kind of fork it came with, etc. They will be more help than me speculating. They can also confirm the year with the serial #.

A CF fork will be a lot lighter than a CrMo fork. It's your call if you want to keep the parts from the approximate time period or upgrade to more modern stuff. I bent the CrMo fork on my 85 SR300 and was amazed at how much lighter my replacement aluminum(Rodriguez brand) fork was compared to the original. I do believe it made a difference in performance. CF fork will more than likely be even lighter than Al.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts