Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this Bottecchia frame about 7 years ago and built up the single speed that you see here. At the time I bought it I didnt get any specific info about exactly what year it was built or where it had been before me because I got it from a bike store that was selling it on concession so I never got to talk to the previous owner. I have been trying to find out more about it and have seen a few pics of others like it and it seems that others say its a 1988-89. But the other pictures of the red and white models and even the pics of the matte black and white models that I have seen all have the Bottecchia logos written in cursive font. I am wondering why mine is the only one that I have seen that has the block lettering for the Bottecchia logo? One thought is that it may be a commemorative model of an older bike? Or perhaps it was repainted at some point and the cursive decals were replaced with the block letters?

I love the bike and wouldn't get rid of it for anything, but I am just looking to find out a little more about it. Anyone got any clues?

· What the Hell is going on
5,904 Posts
Stop with the Bottecchia's already

All this talk of Bottecchia's is driving me crazy because I sold my red/white and chromed lugged frame Bottecchia (much like yours only I had a metal headbadge) two years ago. I have too many bikes and I thought I'd never get around to deck her out completely in Campy C-Record (as she ought to be).

I'm an idiot!

· Registered
394 Posts
Cursive font

Cursive font is the more common but block font like yours is not so unusual. I remember magazine ads from 1987-88 that had the block font. I always thought it was the team versions that had the block font so it would be easier to read.

Nice bike. A Bottecchia is always on my list of 'dreams' due to the chrome, long point lugs, tasteful (RED-white glossy scheme) paint. The coolest ones have the Cinelli spoiler BB shell.

Takmanjapan

· Registered
397 Posts
Judah said:
I bought this Bottecchia frame about 7 years ago and built up the single speed that you see here. At the time I bought it I didnt get any specific info about exactly what year it was built or where it had been before me because I got it from a bike store that was selling it on concession so I never got to talk to the previous owner. I have been trying to find out more about it and have seen a few pics of others like it and it seems that others say its a 1988-89. But the other pictures of the red and white models and even the pics of the matte black and white models that I have seen all have the Bottecchia logos written in cursive font. I am wondering why mine is the only one that I have seen that has the block lettering for the Bottecchia logo? One thought is that it may be a commemorative model of an older bike? Or perhaps it was repainted at some point and the cursive decals were replaced with the block letters?

I love the bike and wouldn't get rid of it for anything, but I am just looking to find out a little more about it. Anyone got any clues?

I have a black stem (110) pantographed with Bottecchia in white lettering. It doesn't fit me, but would really smoke on yours. Contact me if interested.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MerckxMad said:
I have a black stem (110) pantographed with Bottecchia in white lettering. It doesn't fit me, but would really smoke on yours. Contact me if interested.

Yeah, I am interested! Can you send me a photo of it? It does sound like it would be perfect for my bike, but the size could pose a problem. If you notice on the photo of my bike the seat is pretty close to the frame on mine because it is a huge frame. Technically it is probably a little too big for my height but fell so in love with it when I saw it that I had to buy it. I feel like the size of the bike works for me, but if the Bottecchia pantograph on the seat post is elongated it might make the seat too high for me.

But again, I would love to see a picture and if I think the size would work then I would definitely be interested!
Thanks!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.