Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I have a beginner type bike and I've been considering upgrading some things

my bike is a cannondale Six 6 if you want to look up what it has on it, I currently have all stock components

it is a 9-speed triple, but I was wondering if I bought RD/FD/Shifters made for 10 speeds would they work on my 9 speed?

the reason I ask is I want to eventually have basically everything upgraded, but I don't have the money to do everything, so I want to upgrade piece by piece and was wondering if I'm able to use the 10 speed stuff with my 9 speed thanks

EDIT: I do like the 9 speed triple though, so would there be any way to upgrade to better 9 speed components? all the new things seem to be 10 speed, but could I buy unused older models that are 9 speed? would this be unwise for any reason? if not this would be my first choice

EDIT: also, what parts do you think are most important to upgrade (in general, or specifically based on my 2009 Six 6 if you're willing to look at the setup on their site or know it) so that I can upgrade those firsts, thank you again

EDIT: also, if I can't use the 10 speed stuff what would the minimum stuff I would have to buy on the first go to use it? (hopefully not everything)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Basically all you need is shifters, chain and cassette. 9 speed derailleurs will work just fine as will all other components. You should void dura ace 9700 shifters because they need 9700 derailleurs. You need to check that the front shifter is triple if you want to keep your crank

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
IMO before spending any money on upgrades, first decide exactly what you want to do (and why) and what your goals are. I say this because you start off wanting to start an upgrade process to 10 speed, then back off to wanting to upgrade to better 9 speed components.

From a cost/ performance standpoint, I don't think it's worthwhile to upgrade a few 9 spd parts for more of the same, just 'better'. You'll spend a fair amount and in return get minimal weight loss and a slightly more refined drivetrain.

If you're otherwise happy with the current drivetrain, keep it and save for the 10 speed upgrade, which will initially entail changing out your cassette, chain and shifters. The remainder of your 9 spd drivetrain will work fine, so you could upgrade those parts as the funds became available.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts