Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yes, but...

My understanding is the only difference in the 10 speed rings is the spacing between the rings has been decreased VERY slightly to help prevent the chain from dropping between the rings since the outside of the chain is where it was narrowed.

FSA did the same thing since they were having problems and now have the "S10" rings that are machined to be a little closer. (But FSA always did a compromise setup between the Shimano and Campy specs).

The rings themselves should give you no issues. I use Campy 10 on my FSA crankset with no issues, but the current Campy 10 chain is wider than the Shimano 10 (until the new Ultra Narrow chain is readily available).

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
so the campy 9 speed rings should work with their 10 speed chains? After reading on the campy site that they weren't compatible, I didn't try it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Can't say I tried it with Campy...

Fignon's Barber said:
so the campy 9 speed rings should work with their 10 speed chains? After reading on the campy site that they weren't compatible, I didn't try it.
I (gasp) have an FSA with MegaExo BB. The Campy purists will need to chime in here, but I believe Campy did the same thing and just machined the rings closer together. Remember, the only thing that has changed with the "narrower" chains is the outside. The inner dimensions have stayed the same.

But, regarding Campy cranksets this is all second hand. I have not tried this nor do I know anyone who has. Campy riders care to chime in?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts