Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, found a decent deal on a used bike locally.

However, its a 9spd rear with triple chainring.

I want a 10spd with double chainring.

Can I just plop a 10spd cassette on there and a different chain?? It has '04 ultegra shifters... I assume I would need 10 spd shifters?

If I get a double crankset would the same shifters be compatible?

Otherwise this is going to get expensive and I might as well just buy it the way I want in the first place.

Thanks

· Registered
151 Posts
Your right, the shifters will need replacing.

New shifters, cluster, chain rings and chain will probably add up to more than what you will pay for the bike (although a 4 year old bike will likely need the chain, chain ring and cluster replaced anyhow).

You will be far better off getting a bike with what you want.

· Registered
3,431 Posts
Just my opinion, of course, but there is little or no advantage of 10 speed over 9. Sure, if you have the choice, go with 10, but if you have 9, there's no reason to spend money to "upgrade".

As for the double vs. triple - I'm a triple lover, so I'm definitely biased because it works so well for the riding I do (lots of hills, steep hills, middle aged body - like to spin uphill and have the downhill speed/cadence advantages of the large chain ring).

I believe you could use the same shifters if you change to a double, but you might have to change the bottom bracket as well as the crank.

I wonder (seriously, I don't know) if you could remove the inner chain ring of the triple and adjust the FD stops appropriately. I don't think you'd have chain line problems - I can use all 9 in my cluster with my middle ring of my triple - that would now be the small ring of your "double".

If it were my bike, I'd just ride it until you find a double/10 speed that you like and can afford, then sell your triple/9 speed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.