Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I moved 7 years ago , I brought some wheels that I had accumulated. Didn't know exactly what I had and just found a Campy 8 speed cassette rear wheeel in the pile.

Somehow I've picked up the impression that Campy freehubs were compatible with anything from 8 through 10 speed. Branford shows completely different splines, at least enough so that I can't put a 9 speed cassette on the 8 speed body. I don't know if the hub is exadriver or pre-exadrive. Any hope of putting a 9 speed cassette on? Can I put adifferent freehub on this hub?

·
Registered
7,492 Posts

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I did a little research. One nice thing about campy is that the spares catalogs going back a long way are still online.

In the '97-'98 timeframe, Campy was producing both 8 and 9-speed hubs. Here is a screenshot with the '97 catalog on the left and the '98 on the right. The left image has an exa-drive freehub, the right has a freehub with what looks like "modern" splining. The axles are the same. Therefore in theory for this example, the freehubs are interchangeable. That's not to say they are available. Suggest you do as Ulti suggests and first research what hub you have.

View attachment 275475

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you bikerjulio.

I have Campagnolo.com bookmarked, the page I'm linked to only goes back to 94. Is there a better source?

Boy, I just realized that the hub is really old. I went back to school in 1997 and had the bike before then and even before about 93. Probably 1992. I'll take the cassette off.

I did find what looks like a 10 speed freehub on e-bay at a very reasonable price. There isn't enough info on the catalog to see if a new freehub could be mounted on an old hub. The axles are completely different in design, but possible that they would be compatible. I'll check with Vecchio Bicecletaria in Boulder. He has the reputation of knowing every thing campy. I know he has a big stock of cannabalized parts.

I do have the 9 speed wheel. Just would be nice to find another. It probably will wind up on 3-bay.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
there is a good source for older Campy catalogs VeloBase.com - Catalog Scans I'm not so sure about online tech info.

I'm guessing that the 8-speed hub design didn't change up to the one I showed before.

The bad news is that I can't see this being easy or economic to do. Only perhaps if you find someone with a collection of '90's hubs & parts that you can play around with.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,556 Posts
If this is a "stock" hub and rim, a new freehub body is easy to fit. If this is a "factory built wheel, you might have a problem, but a friend of mine had one of these type wheels rebuilt as a 9/10 speed wheel.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My chorus group on my Littespeed is 1999. I finally realized that the 8 speed is rather older. 1990 give or take.

This is my exchange with Peter Chisholm at Vecchio's Bicicleteria in Boulder, Co.

I was looking in my shed and found a campy chorus 8 spd. rear hub that I didn't know I had.

The hub is circa 1991 from ergopower drive train. Is it possible to put a newer freehub in to upgrade to be compatible with my 9 speed Litespeed with chorus drive train? I've found freehubs that look like they would work, but with current 9/10 speed splines. I've been on the campy web site - their parts catalog only go back to 1994; that is enough to verify the axles would clearly be different than what are on newer hubs. But maybe it's still possible the freehubs are compatible. rdtindsm

It may be. If the hub is that early, and has a 10mm in diameter axle rather than 12, no go. If it has a 12mm axle, then yes, however, and BIG however, those 9/10s FH bodies were only made in 1997/8, so they are scarce. In 1998/9, all the hubs went to the oversized aluminum axle type FH and those will not work in that hub.
Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.