Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My memory is not what it used to be so I want to make sure what I am about to do will work before I start tearing stuff down. I'm old now so I have a good excuse for being a bit fuzzy about this:)

One of my bikes has 10 speed Dura Ace components - currently a 50-34 chainring with a 12-27 cassette. I purchased a 9 speed Performance brand (Forte) mountain bike rear derailleur along with a 11-34 cassette a few years back as I was going to ride in the mountains and needed the lower gearing for these old legs.

I removed the 12-27 cassette and 10 speed rear der and put the new components on my 10 speed and as good as I can remember it worked fine. I can't remember which chain I used. Do I need a 9 speed or 10 speed chain?

Can I use the existing shifter cable or will it be a different length?

Lastly, is there a special method of attaching the shifter cable to the rear der? It seems there was an alternate way of mounting the cable to the derailleur but again my memory fails me. If so, please tell me how or even better post a pic.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: I decided to give it a try after all and it works fine. l switched out the 10 speed Dura Ace dérailleur with the 9 speed Forte. Slipped the 11-34 cassette on and was able to reuse the cable with no issues.
Just took it out for a test ride and the 10 speed shifters worked great with the 9 speed rear der and cassette. I found the chain that was used previously - I think it is a 9 speed.
So off to the mountains in a few days - I'd feel better about it if I had a triple though:)

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
You will need a 10 speed cassette and a 10 speed chain to work with 10 speed shifters. The 9 speed derailleur should be fine.

From your questions, I would recommend taking your bike to a shop for the derailleur swap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts