Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing a 9-speed Dura-Ace cassette with a 9-speed XT cassette, but I'm left with a little play in the XT cassette when it's on the hub. It's as if the spacing for the XT cassette is just a tiny bit smaller. I wasn't expecting that. What am I missing?

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
bsdc said:
I'm replacing a 9-speed Dura-Ace cassette with a 9-speed XT cassette, but I'm left with a little play in the XT cassette when it's on the hub. It's as if the spacing for the XT cassette is just a tiny bit smaller. I wasn't expecting that. What am I missing?
"What am I missing?" A spacer? Mavic hub that needs a spacer behind the casstte? '11 tooth' vs '12 tooth' lock ring? - TF

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TurboTurtle said:
"What am I missing?" A spacer? Mavic hub that needs a spacer behind the casstte? '11 tooth' vs '12 tooth' lock ring? - TF
I'm pretty sure there is no spacer missing between the cogs. The hub is a Hadley. The Dura Ace is has a 12 tooth and the XT has an 11 tooth gear and lock ring. With the XT cassette, the last gear and the lock ring fit but there is a small amount of play in the other 8 gears. Why would the hub need a spacer with a Dura-Ace cassette and not an XT cassette? I thougth the spacing and fitting would be the same.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Are you sure the 11T cog is seated correctly? Even though the cog appears to fit in many ways, it can only be line up on way... I agree with you. Something is not right. I have an XT cassette on my Bike Friday and it is using Dura Ace hubs. It doesn't need any spacers

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave Hickey said:
Are you sure the 11T cog is seated correctly? Even though the cog appears to fit in many ways, it can only be line up on way... I agree with you. Something is not right. I have an XT cassette on my Bike Friday and it is using Dura Ace hubs. It doesn't need any spacers
I'm pretty sure the 11T is seated correctly. It only goes on one way and when it's set in place the other 8 gears rattle. I'm taking it to the bike shop tomorrow to see what's wrong. I just want to double check that I'm not the problem.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Hyperglide-C?

bsdc said:
I'm pretty sure there is no spacer missing between the cogs. The hub is a Hadley. The Dura Ace is has a 12 tooth and the XT has an 11 tooth gear and lock ring. With the XT cassette, the last gear and the lock ring fit but there is a small amount of play in the other 8 gears. Why would the hub need a spacer with a Dura-Ace cassette and not an XT cassette? I thougth the spacing and fitting would be the same.
Cassettes with an 11 tooth top sprocket only fit properly on a Hyperglide-C freehub. On a Hyperglide-C freehbub, there is a short step on the end of the splines, to leave room the smaller 11 tooth sprocket to fit on. On this freehubs, it appears that the splines stop just a little short of the end of the freehub. To fit a cassette with an 11 tooth sprocket onto a non-Hyperglide-C freehub, a small spacer must be fit on to the freehub before the cassette.

Photos and descriptions of Hyperglide-C vs. non-Hyperglide-C freehubs can be found on Sheldon Brown's web site.

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds right. Thanks for the info.

Mark McM said:
Cassettes with an 11 tooth top sprocket only fit properly on a Hyperglide-C freehub. On a Hyperglide-C freehbub, there is a short step on the end of the splines, to leave room the smaller 11 tooth sprocket to fit on. On this freehubs, it appears that the splines stop just a little short of the end of the freehub. To fit a cassette with an 11 tooth sprocket onto a non-Hyperglide-C freehub, a small spacer must be fit on to the freehub before the cassette.

Photos and descriptions of Hyperglide-C vs. non-Hyperglide-C freehubs can be found on Sheldon Brown's web site.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts