Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what's up with the future of 9-speed drivetrains. Are they on the way out? If so, why are so many companies selling their pricepoint road bikes wiht 9-speed systems?

Does this mean you'll have a hard time replacing derailleurs and the like when they wear out break? That Shimano and the rest have stopped making new 9-speed cassettes and shifters and the like?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Old tech, yes, reducing inventory because the shift (har-har :wink: ) is 10 and soon to be 11 spd.

Parts will be around for a bit so no worries. Unless they drastically alter the RD design, it shouldn't be a problem going backward. But who knows what they dream up. The 6600 Ultegra shifts fine with my 6spd levers and based on that, I would presume that 1990 era RD will also work fine with 10 spd. (So long as the limit screws allow such travel.) Speaking of Shimano.

Buy the parts you need now if you plan on a long term bike. Even so, you'll be able to find parts but they may not be the level/quality you desire in X years due to the discontinued production.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man, it's not like...

Man, it's not like they gotta really feed the upgrade-itis of folks here. Y'all don't need any encouragement is what I'm saying. I already had to order a 9sp Ultegra FD from the UK!

So that means you're basically setting yourself up for a headache if you buy a bike with 9sp components, eh? Dang...

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
yes...

madgeronimo said:
Man, it's not like they gotta really feed the upgrade-itis of folks here. Y'all don't need any encouragement is what I'm saying. I already had to order a 9sp Ultegra FD from the UK!

So that means you're basically setting yourself up for a headache if you buy a bike with 9sp components, eh? Dang...

Campy came out with 10 speed way back in 2000 and Shimano followed, four years later. All of Campy's groups are 10 speed and three will be 11 speed next year. Shimano only uses 9 speed on low level road bikes. Of course, MTBs remain 9 speed and probably will for quite a awhile. A few years after the introduction of more speeds, older parts become limited avilability replacement parts.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I heard the Sora Groupset has been "upgraded" to 9 speed so I guess if you don't mind sora then no worries for a few years but if you are on campu either stack up or start thinking about upgrading.

·
p != b
2,303 Posts
madgeronimo said:

Did you read (comprehend, not just look at the letters) what Kuma said? There's a lot of compatibility between derailleurs. For the most part, any shimano 8, 9, or 10 speed derailleur will work on your 9-speed drivetrain. While the mfr. would like you to think that '9-speed' means that it only works with 9-speed parts, that is not the truth, especially when it comes to derailleurs.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
I'd echo what C-40 said. Nine-speed will be around in mountain and cross applicaitons for a while. There are even a good number of mountain bikers disenchanted with nine speed for that application.

·
Unsafe at Any Speed
456 Posts
Not wanting to sound anti-progress but where will it stop? I use 10 and 9-speed and consider each to have its place. yes, sometimes you don't need 10.

If one requires a still wider range of gears, maybe one should one day bite the bullet and fit a triple ?

A chain still narrower than a 10-speed will not be a pleasure in all respects IMO. Ditto a hub requiring more dish to be built into the rear wheel.

Some mountain bikers prefer 8 speed to 9, for the wider chains and generally less fussy mechanicals.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
stock up

madgeronimo said:
So what's up with the future of 9-speed drivetrains. Are they on the way out? If so, why are so many companies selling their pricepoint road bikes wiht 9-speed systems?

Does this mean you'll have a hard time replacing derailleurs and the like when they wear out break? That Shimano and the rest have stopped making new 9-speed cassettes and shifters and the like?

Thanks.
Probably not a bad idea to stock up on 9-speed wear parts. I think chains are a non-issue but cassettes and perhaps chainrings could be a problem down the road. Those parts will be cheap now until they get scarce. No need to be a lemming; 9-speed stuff will work fine for years to come

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.