Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changing to flat-bar Shimano R 660 trigger shifters for 9-speed, will I have trouble with my 8-speed ders? Now have STI brifters. Thanks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
8-speed

8-speed deore/xt cassette and ders. This is an early 90's odd titamiun Raleigh that came with mountain gears and drop bars with STI shifters.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So...

Instead on passing the cable straight thru the Point "B" attachment, it needs to curve 90 degrees and be attached by a clamp to the rear side of point B. I don't see that option on my current point B, I guess that's a part I need to buy. Thanks for the photo, it speaks volumns.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
breadrunner said:
Instead on passing the cable straight thru the Point "B" attachment, it needs to curve 90 degrees and be attached by a clamp to the rear side of point B. I don't see that option on my current point B, I guess that's a part I need to buy. Thanks for the photo, it speaks volumns.
You are correct...With he cable curved 90 degrees, it will shift 8 speed

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The front shifter is made to shift a triple, also. If you're using a double, it will take some real playing around to get it to work, don't expect it to be anything like the accuracy or performance of the brifters that you had. And if you are running a road triple, it's worth getting the corresponding front derailleur because these shifters aren't made to work with anything else. I've gone through trying all this, it's a nightmare till you just get the special shimano parts that are made to work together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts