Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to remove the crank arms from two bikes this weekend. Both are Ultegra 9 speed and I know they are supposed to be self-extracting. But, since I haven't removed one of these style before, I am wondering if there are any pointers anyone has to share?

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Either way (self extracting or not), the first thing you'll have to do is to remove the "bolts" that keep the cranks on. 8mm.

If the cranks were self extracting, they'll come off in the process of unscrewing the bolt.

If not, you need a crank extracter. Park tools sells one. I've used it for Campy square taper, Older Shimano square taper and Octalink/Isis style bottom brackets.

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=26&item=CCP-4

What is interesting is that Park says that tool won't work on square taper, however that is bogus as i've done it many times, including just today! You just need to remove the "disk" that is screwed into the end of the tool. I've not noticed any damage caused to my BBs either.

Also, watch the knuckles when doing the drive side. I got some nasty gashes last year doing this. Those things are probably torqued on there pretty good.

· Registered
151 Posts
You need the Park CCP-4 and not the CCP-2 for ISIS and Octalink BB's. I just had to buy one to service my FSA Superlight crank with an ISIS BB. Older square taper BB's use the CCP=2. Both can be bought for around $15.

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
maximum15 said:
I am going to remove the crank arms from two bikes this weekend. Both are Ultegra 9 speed and I know they are supposed to be self-extracting. But, since I haven't removed one of these style before, I am wondering if there are any pointers anyone has to share?
Assuming self extracting octalink:
Be sure that the dust cap/ring is in as far as it will go. You should not be able to see any threads all the way around.
The 8mm hex wrench goes through the ring to the crank arm bolt. Both are standard thread. As you loosen it, it will be hard, then release, then get hard again as the bolt head hits the ring. Keep turning and the bolt against the ring will pull the arm off.
Done

TF

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.