Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So besides the fact that I'm nuts, I am doing a 90 min spin class in 30 min. I already ate a decent meal/lunch.

I've honestly never done a spin class before, let alone a 90 min one. Should I eat something right before? banana w/peanut butter? Should I take anything to eat for during the ride, or just drink water/gatorade (which I'm used to).

Any tips for not embarrassing myself/bonking? :)

Thanks

·
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just wanted to say that spin classes are the crappiest way to train...

Who the hell bounces on the pedals and seat (on purpose) while doing sprints or uphills?

Hard to explain, but it was more pain on the knees than anything else.

·
Registered
10 Posts
iliveonnitro said:

Who the hell bounces on the pedals and seat (on purpose) while doing sprints or uphills?

Hard to explain, but it was more pain on the knees than anything else.
In the three spins classes I have attended, I have realized their intentions. They've got to appease the feel-good-about-working-out crowd more than us. This means variety (i.e. hills, bouncing, knee destroying resistance, sprinting). I didn't experience the bouncing on purpose instructions, but I allow myself to ignore some of the commands, though I'll do most of it so I'm not just spinning below AT for an hour.

I've found that the class is much better if there are women who take off their shirts to reveal sports bras half way through.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
i've found good and bad about it.

one thing they have me do is slide forward on my saddle and drop lower to focus on quads. fine and dandy but with my milage i'm not risking messing up my knees

they have you do isolation movement. Keep the back and butt steady and spin. this doesn't bother my knees so much so i'm down with it, and it give the quads a bit of work

when they say 'sprint' they don't have any idea what a sprint is. Just jump the pace and push your LT. They never offer anywhere near enough time for recovery from a real sprint.

you get what you put into these workouts. I value my monday lunch spin class...
60 min of tough work. But you must adjust. Its not designed for our type rider...

·
50ft. Queenie
1,154 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
i dont know why cyclists go to spin classes & feel they have a gun to thier head & are being forced to do the stupid things the instructor does.

go to a spin class with YOUR training plan for the day. Do NOT do the same thing the class is doing....

Use it as a change of scenary. It basically the same thing as the trainer in your basement, except now you have hot chicks in spandex on either side of you.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
pappymd said:
I go to the spin studio when there is no class. Just me and the ipod. Less scenery, but a better workout.
I do both - hour before, class, hour after - nice 50+ mile ride.

If haven't enough imagination to make a spin class fit your training needs, you better get a coach.

TF

·
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's exactly what it turned into half way through the "hills" section. I just though "wtf are you doing?" and then when on my merry way of doing stuff I though to be relevent.

That's the longest time I've ever been on a stationary bike though - I usually get bored out of my mind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts