Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered these back in April I believe it was. I bought them because of several reasons: advertised puncture resistance, fairly light, good price, and very unique.
I had mixed emotions when I first mounted them because they were smaller than the advertised 700x25. They looked very nice, with a slight texture to the rubber, which adds to the uniqueness of the product. They were the same size as my Michelin 700x23's they replaced. The rubber compound looked different than other tires. Ride quality seemed the same or slightly stiffer than the Krylions they replaced. One thing I really appreciated about these tires was the ease of install. I've had Conti and Michelins before that were very difficult to install. These, on the other hand, went on very easy the first time.
Now that I've had them for just over 900 miles, I thought I'd give my feedback. The front tire still looks brand new, even the texture that is on it is still there. No visible cuts in the front tire. Granted, I know front tires don't get much wear, but I figured it'd at least show some signs of wear.
The rear tire is still round, whereas my Krylions started taking a slightly squared off edge close to 1000 miles. Most of the texture is still visible after cleaning the tire off. What's surprised me is the cuts this tire has endured, yet I haven't gotten a flat yet. There are three nasty looking ones which seems they should have caused flats. I'm guessing their advertised puncture resistance is as good as claimed.
Will I buy more down the road? I'm not sure, because my Conti GP4000 tires were nicer riding, and were true to advertised size. That size means a more comfy ride too. The Conti's were fairly resistant to punctures, but were hard to mount. I might post back later, when I get my first flat, or if there is a reason I replace these.

·
Registered
21,544 Posts
Front tire wear

Peanya said:
The front tire still looks brand new, even the texture that is on it is still there.
Tire wear is rubber being scrubbed off the tire. This happens on the read due to power being transmitted from the hub to the road. The only rubber loss on the front would be from braking forces and cornering forces. As a result, most people will find that their front tires really don't wear much at all. They get old, cut up, crazed, and maybe crumbly, but not worn out.

·
Sucker for carbon
266 Posts
Thanks for the informative review, Peanya. I will consider these as my next tires because I really like my current Ultremo R1's... but they could be a little more wear resistant.

I'm also thinking about the Conti GP4000S because they get nearly unanimous praise.

·
Ya, what ATP said...!
2,140 Posts
Here's where I'll pick up a flame or two... rotate your tires to extend their life. I've done this for almost 30 years and it was a common practice in the 80s and 90s. Sometime in the 2000s opinion soured on tire rotation because a "compromised" rear tire should never be put on the front. Thanks for the review on the tire. I'll pick up a pair and giv'em a try.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts