1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

A friend and I built up two new bikes - 2016 Cannondale Supersix EVO HM

We bought the frames new and built them up with 9070 Di2

After initial setup both were having the issue of shifting off the largest cog into the spokes

I connected them to the computer using the Etube software and was able to understand the problem better

One issue is that to get them into adjustment correctly (correct gear, and indexing well) I have to adjust the miceoadjust setting to +12. To be clear - both bikes ended up at +12

Is there a way to reset the gear that Di2 thinks it is in so that the microadjust is closer to zero and not at +12? I am not sure if +12 is ideal - it might be nice to have some room on either side to dial it in

Should I add a spacer so that the rear derailleur is farther from the dropout so that the micro adjust is closer to zero?

Finally - I am probably thinking about purchasing a rear derailleur alignment tool. Will this be safe to use on the Cannondale Supersix EVO HiMod frame/rear derailleur hanger?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
if its going off the big cog into the spokes your low limit isn't set right - set high and low limits first.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Your limits need to be set before you even start anything else.

I always set the derailleur hanger, mount the derailleur then set the limits on the RD before I even put the chain on.

And you should be able tool use the hangar alignment to on any bike. Just be careful and make small incremental adjustments. You want to minimize the bending of the hangar as much as possible, as they are fairly fragile, and over bending can weaken them and cause them to fail.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies! I have updated the firmware. Although I worked on the indexing first, I have now also adjusted the limit screws. The rear derailleur is no longer shifting off the largest cog.

Should I add a spacer to the rear derailleur if the microadjust is at +12? Ordered the Park Tool derailleur alignment tool

Thanks

·
Registered
3,935 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
In another thread, the Di2 shifting wasn't working well:

Di2 11 speed. The drivetrain is noisy and has trouble shifting inboard (slow and sometimes won't shift to larger cogs). This happens mostly in the large chainring, not the small. While in big chainring, it will not shift into largest cog (although the low limit seems fine as it will reach largest cog with some manual pressure).

In trim adjustment mode, the rear derailleur is all the way inboard: of the 33 steps, it is maxed out up the cogset. It seems I need to trim farther inboard but I am fully adjusted in that direction already.​

He fixed it by having a derailleur hanger milled down 3mm!
See this post.

I'm really surprised that some bikes are designed and shipped with the hanger being off center from the adjustment range!

·
Registered
698 Posts
From that thread, I posted a comment about the 33 steps of adjustment.

And see the link to the Di2 dealer manual. It has an easy to understand derailleur adjustment process. The high and low limit adjustments are critical.

The high limit (smallest cog) has to allow room for an overshift -- the chain moves farther outward and then back to center on upshifts to smaller cogs.

The low limit (largest cog) will keep the chain from overshifting into the spokes.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
And you should be able tool use the hangar alignment to on any bike. Just be careful and make small incremental adjustments. You want to minimize the bending of the hangar as much as possible, as they are fairly fragile, and over bending can weaken them and cause them to fail.
Hangars are where we keep airplanes. Hangers are what derailleurs (and clothes) hang from :)

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
How do you know I don't keep my hangers hanging on hangers in a hangar? :D
hang on here, I'm not sure I'm following all this.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Just be aware that cannondales have a "sandwiched" hanger design that means you need to be careful realigning the hanger. In fact, the factory manual says not to align while mounted on bike, although many have successfully ignored this.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
427 Posts
Just be aware that cannondales have a "sandwiched" hanger design that means you need to be careful realigning the hanger. In fact, the factory manual says not to align while mounted on bike
Just curious – but how would one go about "aligning" a derailleur hanger that wasn't on the bike? Isn't the whole point of the process to get the hanger to "aline" with the cogs, so without it being on the bike, how would you know it was in line?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
An excellent question. Cannondales instruction made no sense to me either, and that's why I did it on the bike....very carefully.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts