Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings,
Long story short, I was sold a bike that I'm now being told is too small for me. The LBS that I purchased it from (not my primary LBS) was insistent that 58cm was my size, because supposedly Bianchi's run small. He even claimed that he rides a larger Bianchi than other bikes he has ridden. After test riding the bike and bringing it home, I scheduled a fit with my primary LBS. Oh BTW, this Bianchi place didn't even offer what I would consider an acceptable fitting. I basically guided the guy through adjusting my saddle height and aft/fore. It was completely cheesy. I kind of suspected this going in but I figured I'd grab the bike since it was a good deal and then just schedule a real fitting at my primary LBS which is awesome. So I show up at my primary LBS and we slap the bike up on the trainer. He takes a bunch of measurements and then dials in my saddle adjustments. Everything is feeling great as far as that goes. He then starts to examine my reach and notices that my shoulders are rolled forward and I'm reaching too much. After taking some measurements he basically says that this bike was designed for someone taller. To compensate for the extended reach, we end up going with a 90mm stem. (Bontrager Race X Lite) It was basically between that or a Specialized stem. The Bontrager looked much better aesthetically so I decided to give that a whirl. After installation, the fit was definitely much more comfortable. (Not nearly as stretched, slight bend in the elbows) My shoulders were still slightly rolled but the consensus was that once I improved flexibility, I should be fine. My fitter seemed to be fine with a 20mm adjustment, but did say he'd never go more than 20mm, otherwise he'd straight out tell you that the bike is too big. BTW, the original stem was 110mm in case you didn't do the math. I guess my question is: Assuming that I'm comfortable, and the jury is still out as I need to log more miles, is this an acceptable setup? (58cm bike with a 90mm stem) Is it that unusual for someone to buy a bike and then have to shorten the stem by 20mm? I really like the bike and I'm hoping that I don't have to sell it. BTW, I don't think I mentioned my dimensions. (5'10 1/2 w/32-inch inseam) Oh, I placed a call to Bianchi HQ this afternoon letting them know about my experience. (sized incorrectly, piss poor fitting, and some other **** I won't even get into) I'd be interested in your thoughts. I'm hoping that you'll convince me to keep the bike and try and make it work but I'll respect your honesty. Here are some pictures. Thanks guys.

Here is a link that includes the geometry chart for this model/year. The next size down would have been a 55cm. The changes are in 3cm increments.

https://www.bianchiusa.com/archives/09-bicycles/09-c2c/928-carbon-k-vid/09-c2c-928-105-comp/

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
A 90mm stem is perfectly acceptable. We need to see pictures of you on the bike for further comments.

FWIW, I use a 90mm stem.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You have a 90mm stem because you bought a one size too big. at 5'10 the you shoud have been on the 55 and not the 58. I am 6'2" and I would fit on the 58 with a 120mm stem perfect.

It seems like the dealer push sold you what they had to close a sell. If I was you, I would definitely take it back and say that it does not fit. This is not the manufacturer's fault. It's like blaming Nike for Foot Locker selling you a shoe that is too big for you...

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I am 5'10" and have a 56cm frame and a 90mm stem. It's difficult to tell size from frame to frame because of the geometry, but in general, it seems you have a bigger frame and thus the 90mm stem is probably about right.

Your words: After installation, the fit was definitely much more comfortable. (Not nearly as stretched, slight bend in the elbows) My shoulders were still slightly rolled but the consensus was that once I improved flexibility, are probably the tale of the tape.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Understood, but quite frankly, I didn't want to deal with this guy. He's the type of guy who would have claimed that the biked fits you regardless of what I said. Besides, I thought it was important to let Bianchi know what kind of bike shop is representing their company. I'm not optimistic, but I'm hoping that they'll bring the hammer down on the LBS. BTW, when I was telling my story to HQ, they were like "Didn't they determine that the bike was too big during the fit?".....I was like "ahhh no, that's the problem, they didn't really do what I'd call a proper fitting".

zion rasta said:
You have a 90mm stem because you bought a one size too big. at 5'10 the you shoud have been on the 55 and not the 58. I am 6'2" and I would fit on the 58 with a 120mm stem perfect.

It seems like the dealer push sold you what they had to close a sell. If I was you, I would definitely take it back and say that it does not fit. This is not the manufacturer's fault. It's like blaming Nike for Foot Locker selling you a shoe that is too big for you...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Well I'm basically the same same height, but with a 33in inseam. I usually get fitted at a 56cm, though I prefer a smaller frame and usually ride a 54cm. The effective TT is defiantly short for a 58cm though, and is more like a 57cm. Its 30mm longer than my 54, and I use a 130mm stem, so my setup is slightly longer than your 58cm with a 90mm stem. Being that we are essentially the same height and I have a longer inseam I would assume you most likely have a longer torso. So I think maybe there is some room for improvement as far as flexibility is concerned, but in any case there is nothing really wrong with using a 90mm stem. Some might not find the aesthetics as pleasing as say a 110mm stem, but fit wise I think your fine.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Something to keep in mind..

A 58cm has a taller head tube than a 55cm...you have a fair about of spacers and an up turned stem.......nothing wrong with that at all but if you switch to a smaller frame, you will require even more spacers and/or a greater rise stem...

My vote is keep it if it's comfortable as shown..nothing wrong with a 90mm stem

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Fit seems fine but for the experienced here, they'd want to know your cycling dimensions and how your previous bike fit you. The 90 is fine and as you progress, you may well be putting a 100 or that 110 back on, in combination with removing spacers if you want a more aggressive position.

With what I see, if you dropped down a frame size, the fit would be quite aggressive and that may or may not be comfortable with that level of saddle to bar drop. With the stem already in the positive position, I suspect the 55 would have lots of spacers and a +17 stem to fit you currently. I think how you are set-up is :) but in the absence of you on the bike, it is just my speculative thoughts.

BTW...if you are comfortable as you mention that is what matters.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for the crappy picture, but best I could do at the moment.
How's the reach look? Workable with some added flexibility?

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Echoing the majority sentiment here: with the number of spacers and the upturned stem you have now and being comfortable with that, what could you possibly gain from a smaller frame? Those who proclaim that a certain length stem goes with a certain size frame are generally guided by photos of elite racers in their mid-20s rather than the realities of recreational road cycling. Enjoy your bike and ride lots—no one will take notice of your 90 mm stem, especially when you pass them looking powerful and comfortable on a bike that fits you.

As an aside: you wrote "Long story short, I was sold a bike that I'm now being told is too small for me." Did you mean to say "too large for me" or am I missing something here?

/w

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
I think at 5"10 it might be a tad large. but the next size down would be too small. You are an in-betweener. I'm trying to decifer the geometry chart, and if I'm reading it correctly, the bikes are sized smaller than the advertised size. But I could be wrong without proper frame reference when matched with the geometry chart.

But as long as you are comfortable on the bike, it will be fine. 90mm stems are not an issue to get the sizing correct. My 58cm Fuji Roubaix Pro came with a 110mm stem. I originally installed a 90mm stem as the 110 was too long. I then switched out the handlebars and the components from the 105 5600 shifters to 2010 Force stuff. With the handlebar change and shifter change, my reach changed by almost 10mm. So I took off the 90 and installed an 80mm stem. Much, much better.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i think the fit is good. you have plenty of room to make proper adjustments, the faster, more flexible you get.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
frdfandc said:
I think at 5"10 it might be a tad large. but the next size down would be too small. You are an in-betweener. I'm trying to decifer the geometry chart, and if I'm reading it correctly, the bikes are sized smaller than the advertised size. But I could be wrong without proper frame reference when matched with the geometry chart.
Yeah, I was unable to decipher that chart. I have no experience with those geometry charts so I had no idea what all the different row designations meant. (AI, AS, BI, BS) It's all Greek to me. Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dave Hickey said:
It looks fine to me.....BTW, great looking bike.....
Thanks Dave. I love the looks of the bike. I don't have much saddle time with it yet but I sure do feel good when I'm on it. :) They changed the frame geometry the following year, (Infinito) but personally I like the looks of the 928 better. Something about that pot belly down tube. :cool:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wim said:
Echoing the majority sentiment here: with the number of spacers and the upturned stem you have now and being comfortable with that, what could you possibly gain from a smaller frame? Those who proclaim that a certain length stem goes with a certain size frame are generally guided by photos of elite racers in their mid-20s rather than the realities of recreational road cycling. Enjoy your bike and ride lots—no one will take notice of your 90 mm stem, especially when you pass them looking powerful and comfortable on a bike that fits you.

As an aside: you wrote "Long story short, I was sold a bike that I'm now being told is too small for me." Did you mean to say "too large for me" or am I missing something here?

/w
Thanks for the words of encouragement. It's good to hear that certain frame sizes don't necessarily have to go with certain stem sizes. I guess I just wanted some expert opinions on whether or not I was resorting to extreme measures, and whether or not the bike was WAY too large for me and worth ditching. I'm pretty bummed about the bad LBS experience but I'll consider it a lesson learned.

·
Registered
248 Posts
long top tube

In looking at the bike's geometry (which took a while to figure out with their "AI", "AS", "BI" etc. designations), it looks like the bike has somewhat of a long top tube for you. I'm not a huge expert, but a 575 cm top tube for someone 5'10" is, IMHO, at the far end of the curve. I'm not so sure someone your height would want to go much longer at all. On the other hand, the bike does have a long head tube, which does bring the bars up closer to you. Also, the 550 cm seat tube is kind of short in relation to the top tube. For comparison, my 53 cm 02 Lemond Buenos Aires and my 55 cm 2006 Jamis Quest both have top tubes of about 550, with the Lemond HT being 115 and the Jamis HT 150. They both seem to fit me well, but the Jamis is just a little easier on my back due to the longer HT. I'm 5'9" and some change, with a 33.5 inseam, so your legs are a little shorter and torso a little longer, so a longer top tube would work for you a little better. If you do have tight hamstrings and a tight low back, initially it may seem to big but with time and stretching maybe you'll be OK. One other thing: I can kind of see what the salesman was getting at when he said Bianchis run small. My Gunnar cross bike, for instance, is a 54 cm with a 565 top tube. Yours is a 58 with a 575. Overall though the bike seems to be on the large side for someone your size. As previous poster said, send pictures! (and hope things work out for you!)

·
pedalpedalpedal
896 Posts
The bike looks like it fits you. Looking at the amount of exposed seatpost, it seems about perfect. If you went down a size, you'd have a lot more post sticking out. If the frame was too big, you'd have less, and it'd look odd. Speaking of which, your knee has quite a bend in it at the bottom of the stroke; personally, I'd try raising the seat up another 10-15mm.

I also think the 90mm stem is too short, because it makes you sit too upright. If you like that, keep it, but a lot of riders prefer a more stretched position.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts