Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a used 91 Guerciotti and I am trying to determine if the asking price of $600.00 is fair. I have not had a chance to see it with my own eyes yet but here is what I know. Buying from the second owner, some small nicks on the paint, chrome forks and stays in good condition.

Personally, I think the asking price is too high. With this limited amount of information what would you offer?

Thanks

·
Registered
274 Posts
What components are on the bike? If it's Super Record or C Record it's a pretty good deal. I recently bought an '84 Trek 770 with Super Record components for $500 and was happy with the deal.

Keep in mind that retro bikes are a limited resource and IMO will only be going up in price. I've followed vintage guitar prices for years and could kick myself for not buying more of them when the prices weren't 5 figures (or more)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Columbus SL, SP, SLX? Also, how much are you jones-ing on this frame? Is this something you've wanted for a long time? If so, that might determine just how much you're willing to pay.

Based on the info, $400-450 might be a fair price for both buyer and seller but, again, IMHO if you really want this frame don't let $100 or so make or break the deal. Is the seller willing to bargain a bit?

·
Registered
361 Posts
depending on the condition

Guerciotti makes great frames in the late '80s early '90s, 10 speed drive used to import bare frames to the states and had them painted here locally. Therefore the paint generally holds up much better than other Italian bikes from the same era.
With that said, Guerciotti is considered a solid 2nd tier frame maker and their frames just don't command as much as a De Rosa, Colnago, or Masi of the same age.
If a frame fits and with a good 8 or 9/10 condition I think it's worth the deal, Otherwise, there is definitely room for negotiation.
I have a '89 SLX Guerciotti and it is a solid riding frame, one of my favorite.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.