Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who is riding a Reynolds 953 steel bike and who built your frame?

How is the ride comparing to your CF or Ti bike?

I am starting to get a itch to get a 953 custom frame and would be interested in feedback from people who have been riding these frame material.

· Decrepit Member
1,813 Posts
I've had my Waterford 953 lugged steel bike for about fifteen months and am still on my honeymoon. I can't offer an opinion on the ride compared to CF or Ti, but a good builder specializing in steel, CF, Ti, or Al should be able to build a frame made from the materials he/she specializes in that will ride like you want it to, provided you communicate your expectations.

I believe member terry b has a Carl Strong built 953 frame as well as CF and Ti frames, and he may be able to offer an educated opinion based on his experience.

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scooper, do you happen to know the weight of your 61cm Waterford? I will need a frame about this size.

In terms of builders I am tempted by the Idependant Fab frame. Believe it or not I am even thinking of ordering it with a slopping TT.

· Decrepit Member
1,813 Posts
Lionel said:
Scooper, do you happen to know the weight of your 61cm Waterford? I will need a frame about this size.

In terms of builders I am tempted by the Idependant Fab frame. Believe it or not I am even thinking of ordering it with a slopping TT.
The frame by itself (no fork, no headset, no bottom bracket) weighs 1650 grams, or a little over 3-1/2 pounds.

IF has lots of experience TIG welding 953, and the ones I've seen have great looking welds.

· eminence grease
18,559 Posts
I'm closing the second year on my 953 which was built by Carl Strong.

Can't make any meaningful comparison against CF or Ti other than to say it's great bike as all well built bikes are. I don't think you drop that kind of change on a 953 frame because you expect it to be better than a comparable frame in another material. You do 953 because you want to do something unique with the material, like exposed sections or no paint, or something along those lines.

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok but

terry b said:
I'm closing the second year on my 953 which was built by Carl Strong.

Can't make any meaningful comparison against CF or Ti other than to say it's great bike as all well built bikes are. I don't think you drop that kind of change on a 953 frame because you expect it to be better than a comparable frame in another material. You do 953 because you want to do something unique with the material, like exposed sections or no paint, or something along those lines.
TerryB, I agree with you. Still as you have so many other bikes when do you reach for the Strong 953 versus others?

My 3 main bikes are a C-50, a steel Serotta and a Litespeed Classic. I mostly ride the C-50 because this is the bike I prefer in terms of handling and feel. I would say that my C-50 is also the best climber and stiffer than the other two.

So you must be able to point at something for me:)

· eminence grease
18,559 Posts
How do I decide?

I have 10 favorite road bikes. I reserve all my long weeked rides for these. The rest are consigned to my short, after work in the evening rides except for my cross bike which gets ridden when I am in the mood to turn some dirt over.

I don't ever just reach for the 953, it comes up in the rotation and I ride it then.

Sorry, but there are no more magicaler than the others single bikes in my storeroom. I chose carefully when I bought them and they're all good. If I did try to ride based on subtle differences, I'd get all confused and my hair would catch on fire.

· Registered
655 Posts
Independent Fab has been great for me. The frame weight depends on the tubes selected based on your riding style, weight, preference. Mine came in a tad under my prior ti frame. Very pleased with the bike and Independent Fabracation. Paint applacation is very very good. Bike handles better then my ti and carbon frames but as it is custom I can'r attribute that to being 953. I can say that the 953 is much more scratch resistant then my ti. I'm planning on a 953 cross bike from I.F. soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.