Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a titanium bike right now and have been thinking of adding a custom bike made of 953 steel or other type of stainless (xcr...). Does anyone have experience comparing Ti and stainless steel tubed frames? Also, does anyone have a comprehensive list of builders using 953? I know that there was one a while back, but I think some builders may have started using 953 since then.

I'm looking for a frame that will be stiff, light, but not beat the heck out of me on long rides, but isn't this what everyone is looking for?

...and it's got to be cheap too! :smilewinkgrin: Yeah, right! :p

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Waterford and Independent Fabrications are a good starting place. No experience with either, but I've heard nothing but good about 953. I'd buy one over CF if I could afford it.

·
Decrepit Member
1,811 Posts
I can't offer a comparison to titanium, because I've never owned a Ti bike, but I will say that after two years and about 5k miles on my Waterford 953, it's absolutely my all time favorite ride. I can ride it comfortably for 100 miles a day for days on end, but I think the road/sport geometry (73° HTA, 72.5° STA, 432mm chainstays, 60.3mm trail) contributes as much to the comfortable ride as the 953 tubing does. The fork is relatively heavy chrome plated 531 (Reynolds doesn't yet make 953 fork blades), and the complete bike (61cm frame) weighs twenty pounds ready to ride.

If I were looking for a 953 frameset at less than boutique prices, I'd be considering Dave Anderson, Bob Brown, or Carl Strong.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Hadn't really thought to much about it, but I do think my 953 frame is similar to the 3/2 titanium frame I ride. How much of that is about fit, design and build vs. materials, I can't say. I'm sort of the opinion that every well built bike rides well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.