Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were building new would you build up 9sp or 10?
Nothing to do with extra mud clearance with 9sp etc, 10sp is well proven im my mind.
My concern is noone is really mfg 9 anymore, so does it make sense to spec 9?
Dont want to finish the project then have a hard time finding replacement parts in a couple of years (like 8sp now)

Money is a concern of course, but most of the used 9sp I see is no cheaper than new 10sp. A pair of Veloce 9sp Ergos went on E-bay for $95, I can get new 10sp for approx $110
The project is a pair of 06 Spec Tricross sport. I have a little 9sp in the shed - 1 x cassette and the odd chain etc so not enough to really be concerned about.
I run Campagnolo on all my bikes.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,348 Posts
dreww said:
Money is a concern of course, but most of the used 9sp I see is no cheaper than new 10sp. A pair of Veloce 9sp Ergos went on E-bay for $95, I can get new 10sp for approx $110
The project is a pair of 06 Spec Tricross sport. I have a little 9sp in the shed - 1 x cassette and the odd chain etc so not enough to really be concerned about.
I run Campagnolo on all my bikes.
I'd go Centaur/Veloce 10 speed. Campy's shifting really improved with the move to 10 speed. If budget is essential, try 11speed.com (there is a post on them in the hotdeals section) Sell your remaining 9 speed to offset the new purchases.

Here's how I'd do it:
Training wheels- Veloce cassette
Race wheels- Centaur cassette
Shifters- Centaur
Rear mech- Veloce
Front der- Veloce
Chain- Campy or Wipperman 1008
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
euro-trash said:
I'd go Centaur/Veloce 10 speed. Campy's shifting really improved with the move to 10 speed. If budget is essential, try 11speed.com (there is a post on them in the hotdeals section) Sell your remaining 9 speed to offset the new purchases.

Here's how I'd do it:
Training wheels- Veloce cassette
Race wheels- Centaur cassette
Shifters- Centaur
Rear mech- Veloce
Front der- Veloce
Chain- Campy or Wipperman 1008
Thanks, should have said most of my wheels are Shimano, but I know the 2 are compatible - plus Ultegra 10 sp cassettes are going for $55 on probikekit.com
Is there much of a difference between Veloce/Centaur?

I have Centaur on my road bike and think its great.
 

·
vegan wrench
Joined
·
160 Posts
dreww said:
Thanks, should have said most of my wheels are Shimano, but I know the 2 are compatible - plus Ultegra 10 sp cassettes are going for $55 on probikekit.com
Is there much of a difference between Veloce/Centaur?

I have Centaur on my road bike and think its great.
i can't personally recommend using shimano cassettes w/ a campy drivetrain. i worked on one yesterday (shimano 9sp cassette/chain, campy 9sp shifters/derailleurs) and it was less than ideal. but i digress.

the main difference imho between veloce and centaur is the hubs. the veloces are much heavier (and cheaper of course) whereas the centaurs are almost the same as chorus/record. besides that is essentially weight savings and that's about it. having said that i have mostly centaur on both my bikes with veloce cassettes. the bottom line is, if you're looking at veloce, i would recommend getting it with centaur hubs.

edit: just realised you're obviously using shimano hubs so take from the above what you will.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
dreww said:
Thanks, should have said most of my wheels are Shimano, but I know the 2 are compatible - plus Ultegra 10 sp cassettes are going for $55 on probikekit.com
Is there much of a difference between Veloce/Centaur?

I have Centaur on my road bike and think its great.
I'm running 10 speed Ultegra with an XT midcage rear derailleur. It works flawlessly in all conditions. I have 10 speed D/A on the road bike and it's nice to just slap road wheels on the cross bike for a bad weather road ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,194 Posts
I've been really amazed at the new 105 10 speed shifters that i replaced some broken DA ones with. I know you want campy, but if you've already got the shimano wheels I'd suggest the 105. It's really quite good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
689 Posts
If you plan on running shimano 9spd, i wouldn't worry about parts being hard to get in a few years. 8 speed has been passe for a while but getting 8 spd shimano replacement bits (chains/cassettes) is still very easy...and cheap. I'd assume 9 speed shimano stuff will continue to be widely available for several years to come even though 10 speed is now commonly specced on new bikes.

Campy is another story...i'd def. go 10 speed if you go w/ a campy build...trying to find 9 speed campy stuff is a pain...and 8 speed? forgettaboutit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,348 Posts
Like I said before, I'd go 10 speed if you go campy. Wunlap's comment about 10 speed 105 is good, that' another option you should consider. But since you already have other bikes with Campy, I'd stick with it.

I agree with the above poster about avoiding the Veloce hubs, but since you already have wheels, it's a non-issue.

To use your Shimano compatible hubs with Campy 10, get an American Classic conversion cassette. They work great, and they come in a 12-28 which is perfect for cross. I wouldn't use an Ultegra 10 cassette. They are spaced differently. Yes, you can get them to work, but going with the AC conversion cassette will be less hassle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wunlap togo said:
I've been really amazed at the new 105 10 speed shifters that i replaced some broken DA ones with. I know you want campy, but if you've already got the shimano wheels I'd suggest the 105. It's really quite good.
I had thought about this, but Centaur 10sp are $100 cheaper (Cdn $) though I must admit I really like the new STI's for cross - great to hang onto on rough descents if I remember you said the same.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top