Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20,727 Posts
True; finding 6500 Series hoods is almost impossible. First time I needed a pair, another forum member directed me to a Canadian shop o r became the intermediary on the transaction. Since then, I tried finding them on ebay, etc. without luck.

You may have to buy a complete set of used levers just to obtain hoods.
There's some on ebay. This seller has 3 pair. $57ea + $18 shipping. Stock up :thumbsup:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-ST...bers-6BS98090-Ultegra-105-levers/224120977485

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I am surprised someone has not licked this obsolescence problem with a 3D printer and some pliable stock.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Miss the old non under bar tape shifters.
Just rode the old 9-speed DA on the tandem the other day. Forgot how easy and smooth it is compared to all my new 11-speed DA under bar tape single bikes. It is quite noticeable when switching bikes. Cables also last quite a bit longer on the 9-speed.
I would pay to have 11-speed in the old style for the fewer bends in the housing.
Man, getting old as I am wishing for the old stuff.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
You sure that doesn't pull on the housing when you turn the bars 90*? Just looks a little short to me. I never would have bothered shortening the original housing. A little long is not a problem, too short...a problem. If it works fine, great. I notice a LOT of things about bikes when they come in to the shop. The pic in the OP I wouldn't have said a word about...your shortened version...I'd make sure I checked that right away to confirm it's long enough. Let's just say the new version would catch my eye, the old one wouldn't.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
How so? Meets requirements and aesthetics are a helluva lot better.
Hard to tell, but the front shifter housing looks like it bends immediately when exiting the shifter. It should follow the natural path after it exits the shifter for a cm or two. Sending an overhead shot would with the "We're not there" interweb judging.

·
Registered
978 Posts
You sure that doesn't pull on the housing when you turn the bars 90*? Just looks a little short to me. I never would have bothered shortening the original housing. A little long is not a problem, too short...a problem. If it works fine, great. I notice a LOT of things about bikes when they come in to the shop. The pic in the OP I wouldn't have said a word about...your shortened version...I'd make sure I checked that right away to confirm it's long enough. Let's just say the new version would catch my eye, the old one wouldn't.
What he said. 100%. If I were replacing cable and hosing on the original set up, I would have measured the new housing with the old and not changed a thing. It’s your bike, but the opinion of pro mechanics should be considered. Aesthetics are the second thought sometimes.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Appreciate the opinions but I think it came out alright and I am rid of the rat's nest. Shifts well and turns fine. All the curves are naturally flowing and I think I will get some of those cable protector tubes for the casings near the head tube.

·
15,563 Posts
Ok, but this is not like preferring red over blue. 202 and I both think they're short. We've been doing this for a bit, so make absolutely sure you can turn the bars at least 90* and not have any pull on the housing cuz I think you've cut too much in your misguided quest to 'get rid of the rat's nest'.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Ok, but this is not like preferring red over blue. 202 and I both think they're short. We've been doing this for a bit, so make absolutely sure you can turn the bars at least 90* and not have any pull on the housing cuz I think you've cut too much in your misguided quest to 'get rid of the rat's nest'.
I vote for too short as well. Here is a pic of the bike I have with external cables.

Attachments

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Your 'chicken levers'? :D
What can I say? I like to have brakes for more than one hand position. I don't care what anybody else thinks.

·
15,563 Posts
What can I say? I like to have brakes for more than one hand position. I don't care what anybody else thinks.
Shimano actually just came out w/ a bar-top intermediate lever for disc brakes. It's pretty cool.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts

I haven't ridden this bike in a while, but I think I could go a little shorter because I'm getting some cable rub on the head badge.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts