Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding a 1998 9 speed Chorus goup. My trusted mechanic at the LBS said the shifters are "getting pretty tired", even after a rebuild earlier this season replacing the small spring on the right shifter. He said he's got a Record 10sp derailiur, shifters, cassette and chainrings that had been used on a demo that he can install for a good price. Anyone had experience going from Campy 9 to 10sp? Was there much of a difference in shifting?
Another thought crossed my mind: going right to an 11 speed. The Athena gruppo would look pretty with the alloy parts on this bike, which is a Serotta steel ride. I have heard though that the 11sp is more finicky than the 10sp needing more adjustment. Anyone have opinions on this?

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Rounding up

prometheus said:
Anyone had experience going from Campy 9 to 10sp?
Have both 9s Chorus and 10s Chorus. Like the rounder hoods on the 10s levers rather than the pointy topped 9s. Shifting feel is similar on the two bikes and the 10s is not terribly finicky with regards to setup or adjustment. I really do like the addition of a tenth cog in the back as I can run a cassette without any gaps and still get the range I want.

I suppose if you are getting a good deal on the Record 10s then go with that. My only concern with 10s would be long term availabilty of parts although I can still find 9s stuff wtihout paying an arm and a leg.

With regards to appearance I would not get too hung up on that. My wife and I both ride Ti bikes. Mine has the older, alloy Chorus components and her bike has the newer, carbon Chorus. Both look good and when I see them next to each other neither one stands out as looking better/worse.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes the 10sp sound damn good

Hey Junior,
Thanks for replying. I'm looking forward to that extra bit of gearing. I Ride in VT and NH and we have lots of hills here. The kit that's available has the 13-29 cassette with med. cage derailliur. Not that different than the 13-28 9sp I have now, but there is a slight increase in gear advantage: the 26 as opposed to 25, and 29 as opposed to 28. Plus the addition of a 16 tooth cog in the middle section. You're probably right about the difference in aesthetics being minimal re: the new alloy Athena 11sp. Granted, Athena would give me the option of a 12-29. But I don't race, and when I'm up to speed find that tucking and coasting is as good as pushing a 12t cog. Besides, in this deal I could have the top of the line Record for less than the new Athena, which would also require me getting a new rear hub as the White Industries one I have is excellent, but incompatible with 11sp. I've had the same experience with 9sp parts too: Not that hard to find with Ebay and such.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I have the same vintage Chorus group on a couple of bikes. On my latest build, I went with 11sp Chorus. Shifting in back is reasonably similar, front shifting is much better on the 11sp group. The rear der cable tension has to be right, but it's not difficult to get it there.

The hoods on the new group are MUCH more comfortable. I like them a LOT. So much so, that I haven't ridden the older bike in several months.

IMO, you're better off just jumping to 11. It'll be the new standard for Campy and have the best availability for parts in the future.

The only downside is that you won't get 4000 mi out of a chain any more, and they're still expensive.

Oh, if your current rear hub is 9sp compatible (and not 7/8sp), then the 11sp cassette should work fine.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Sweet 16

Sounds like Record FTW.

prometheus said:
The kit that's available has the 13-29 cassette...
Living in the flats of Indiana I usually run a 12-23 cassette and my wife runs a 13-26 cassette. When we head to the hills she slaps on the 13-29 and I use the 13-26.

Never find myself missing the 12t cog. With 10s I would never ride a cassette without a 16t cog and really miss the 18t cog when I put on the climbing gears.

I can barely notice the difference between a 25t and a 26t. You will probably not even notice the difference between the 28t and 29t.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the 10sp Record. Beautiful but...

Well I went for the Record 10 speed group that was on the demo bike. Its the 2008 Ultra version and there were 500-600 miles on the group. Cost $925 installed with everything except I kept the brake callipers and front derailieur from my old 9 speed. Took it for a 40 mile hilly ride. Everything feels and works great with the exception of the front derailieur. He said even before the ride that it might not work as well as the one from the Record 10sp
group and unless its just a case of adjustment, that must certainly be true. I dumped the chain twice to the outside, once to the inside, and once it jammed up somehow. Some of the shifts were smooth and some made me think the chain was about to come off or jam up again. Never quite knew what to expect when I used that left shifter. So I'm going to have him put on the FD that goes with the group and hope that solves it. I'm a little surprised because I'd have thought the 9sp FD would work fine on a 10sp group.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts