Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
man I love the sound of those radial engines.

how about you lownjers chip in to buy me a ride on one?

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
That cammy growl at 3:06 sounds like a P-51

·
Super Moderator
40,808 Posts
You know they make those things out of carbon fiber now.

·
(not a real racer)
482 Posts
It's always cool to see those old birds flying over. There's a warbird fly-in at our local airport every year and we're right on the loop they always take out to the coast and back. Awesome!!

·
Poseur
1,677 Posts
Saw a B24 fly low over my office not too long ago(knew the radial sound). Also, at the local airshow a few weeks ago, there was a B25, P51, and SB2C flying together. Way cool. The SB2C is the only flying example in the world. It's also what my dad was in at the end of WW2, so seeing it flying was an enormous treat.

·
Fast No More.
770 Posts
I grew up in Rockaway Beach, NY, just over the bridge from Floyd Bennett field. Over the years, I've seen B-17s, B-24s, Mustangs, P-38s, and Corsairs come in and out. Must wreak havoc on the crit series out there.

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
I still need a B-36 Peacemaker flyby in order to feel as though my life is complete. I’d experienced countless C5 and B-52 flybys/flyovers in my time, but the icing on the cake surely would be a B-36 flyby.

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
B52's used to buzz my parents house for the local airshow. Pretty awesome sight.

I got to go on board a B17 at the Aerospace museum outside of Oregon. I cant imagine being in that tin-can, getting shot at for hours on end. I hit my head like 4 times in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
Leopold Porkstacker said:
I still need a B-36 Peacemaker flyby in order to feel as though my life is complete. I’d experienced countless C5 and B-52 flybys/flyovers in my time, but the icing on the cake surely would be a B-36 flyby.
I grew up in El Paso, near Biggs AFB, which I believe was the home of the last active-duty B-36s. Flights of these would go over my grade school at very low altitude and shake the building...I recall my teachers being quite annoyed as they had to stop talking for several minutes and wait for the sound to subside...all the kids thought it was cool because we got to have a little break several times each week.

Absolutely enormous aircraft...

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
saf-t said:

That is a great movie. I had to study that movie in a leadership class to analyze different leadership styles and motives.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Creakyknees said:
man I love the sound of those radial engines.

how about you lownjers chip in to buy me a ride on one?
Got a ride in a B-25 a few years ago at the Reno Air Races, for a story. Instruments of death were way cooler in WWII....

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
my Dad worked on B-36's in his Air Force days. Somewhere he has a photo album of him with B-36's in various states of being taken apart.

But here was his favorite:

G

·
Creakyknees said:
my Dad worked on B-36's in his Air Force days. Somewhere he has a photo album of him with B-36's in various states of being taken apart.

But here was his favorite:

I am old enough that I remember the Revell model kit of that plane.

The B-58 Hustler.

I think that picture was on the box.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
took the kiddo to an air museum today (he loves planes). they had two p-51 mustangs. they said hearing them fly is one of the best sounds ever. the rolls engines are supposed to be sublime. i have to admit, those planes are damned sexy and made me wish i could fly one....joy ridin in a b 17 would be quite nice, too, i imagine

hth

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,457 Posts
I was able to walk through a B-17 and lucky enough to get some left seat time in a T-50. T-50? Anyone? AKA the ___________?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts