Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a couple of rides lately at about the 3/4 mark I've started to develop this really nasty taste in my mouth. My riding Buddy says it's a bi-product of my body burning fat.

In my latest ride today (67 miles and 5,000 Ft. of climbing) once again at about 3/4 ride the same thing. Is my Buddy right? Maybe this is a good thing. I'm sure trying to drop some pounds this season.

· Registered
21,832 Posts
Tastes like?

launchercomp said:
So after a couple of rides lately at about the 3/4 mark I've started to develop this really nasty taste in my mouth. My riding Buddy says it's a bi-product of my body burning fat.

In my latest ride today (67 miles and 5,000 Ft. of climbing) once again at about 3/4 ride the same thing. Is my Buddy right? Maybe this is a good thing. I'm sure trying to drop some pounds this season.
What does it taste like? IME, if it has a sulfur sort of taste, then it could just be that your lungs are getting fully opened for the first time this season. A vinegar or ammonia taste could be from extreme exertion. An acetone (nail polish remover) taste could be from muscle breakdown. Other tastes could come from all that garlic in the pizza sauce, too much broccoli or cauliflower, spinach, gorganzola, limburger, etc. :)

· Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Diet & Mints

launchercomp said:
So after a couple of rides lately at about the 3/4 mark I've started to develop this really nasty taste in my mouth. ...67 miles...
What are you eating and drinking on the ride? I have found certain sports drinks seem to leave a really nasty taste in my mouth. I usually pack about a half roll of Mentos in my pocket and chew a couple along the way. The mint gets rid of the nasty taste and seems to calm my stomach just a bit too.

· Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Sprint Finish

53T said:
Have you tried dropping 5 Mentos in a 2-liter bottle of Coke yet? Good stuff!
I plan to use those triathlete bottle cages that attach to the rear seat for my next race. Should double the effect with the blast of power being just like hitting the nitrous switch in a riceboy car and blinding anyone behind me who thinks they are going to follow my wheel to the finish line.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A definate chemical tase

Kerry Irons said:
What does it taste like? IME, if it has a sulfur sort of taste, then it could just be that your lungs are getting fully opened for the first time this season. A vinegar or ammonia taste could be from extreme exertion. An acetone (nail polish remover) taste could be from muscle breakdown. Other tastes could come from all that garlic in the pizza sauce, too much broccoli or cauliflower, spinach, gorganzola, limburger, etc. :)
Just don't know which one. Thinking back to my college chemistry days I'd have to say it is something non organic. I'd go with the muscle breakdown thing. My legs were toast today.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Clif bars and Lemon lime Gatorade

Keeping up with Junior said:
What are you eating and drinking on the ride? I have found certain sports drinks seem to leave a really nasty taste in my mouth. I usually pack about a half roll of Mentos in my pocket and chew a couple along the way. The mint gets rid of the nasty taste and seems to calm my stomach just a bit too.
A roll of mints sounds like a nice thing.

Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.