Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Amazing. A spill at those speeds would guarantee serious injury. If they endo, hopefully they know how to tuck and roll. Those riders are beasts.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
I wonder how the arguments for furthering of technology went back then.... "a chain and gears?! too dangerous, it will slice off your leg if you crash!"

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I wonder how the arguments for furthering of technology went back then.... "a chain and gears?! too dangerous, it will slice off your leg if you crash!"
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the men who were riding and racing on ordinary bicycles did look down their noses at those who were riding the safety bicycles. I don't remember the source of that information though.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,437 Posts
There are many good reasons we don't ride those anymore. Just falling off one standing still could mean death, not to mention falling off at speed.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Thomas Stevens rode round the World on a penny farthing, in the 1880s. imagine 20,000km on one of those things. almost none of it smoothly paved. no pneumatic tyres either

but alas, the 1928 film was made almost 50 years after the pennyfarthing became obsolete. So almost seems like Youtube Trolling of the Silent Era

1 - 13 of 13 Posts