Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I'm riding in the Five Boro Bike Tour in the Big Crapple and wouldn't you know it, after 3 weeks of beautiful weather they're calling for showers the day of the ride. I've got a Cannon A95 that I was planning on using but I really don't want to trash it in bad conditions. Was wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with a disposable (yuk!) digital camera? Or can mine take a bit of moisture before meltdown and tears?
Any thoughts?

·
Polka Power
1,348 Posts
bmp956 said:
This weekend I'm riding in the Five Boro Bike Tour in the Big Crapple and wouldn't you know it, after 3 weeks of beautiful weather they're calling for showers the day of the ride. I've got a Cannon A95 that I was planning on using but I really don't want to trash it in bad conditions. Was wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with a disposable (yuk!) digital camera? Or can mine take a bit of moisture before meltdown and tears?
Any thoughts?

I don't own an A95 but I've always taken my various (from low end to high end) canon slr's in bad conditions with no issues. That being said....do it at your own risk I'm not responsible. :)

The other option is to weather proof it yourself. Use a ziplock back and cover the camera except to the lens itself. Cut a hole the diameter of the lens. You might need to use some tape around that area to hold it in place. You should still be able to operate the camera more or less like normal otherwise.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
What he said.

ChuckUni said:
I don't own an A95 but I've always taken my various (from low end to high end) canon slr's in bad conditions with no issues.
LOL... I'm the same way. I take my good stuff out in the rain also and haven't ever had an issue. My D1 is supposedly weatherproof anyway.

The bag idea is a good one though, and should deffinitely work quite well.

Arby

·
Polka Power
1,348 Posts
bmp956 said:
So the lens is not as much of an issue as the body? If that's the case then the multi-purpose MacGuyver zip-lock bag to the rescue!
Shouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't dunk it in water but as long as you get the bag sealed out by the end of the lens barrel/lens glass itself you shouldnt have any problems. It's mainly going to protect from water in use...and you will want to protect the glass anyhow because it will mess up your pics.

If you want to be ultra protective...you could put the camera in another bag.... completely sealed when it's not in use.

-Chuck

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
I beg to differ.

You don't know how bad the weather is going to be but you do know it is going to be a big crazy bike ride.

Go to CVS and pick up a disposable waterproof camera. With a waterproof but inexpensive camera you are going to be a lot more comfortable using the thing in bad conditions and you just may end up with some great shots.

It ain't the camera, it is the photographer.

·
Polka Power
1,348 Posts
MB1 said:
disposable waterproof camera.
Are't they all waterproof? :)

On that note my fav "waterproof" although not 100% disposable camera. http://www.holgamods.com/

If you are somewhat photoliterate pick up some meduim format film and try one. Great fun....I've tested mine to about 2m with no issues. :D 800 speed film should be an ok bet for cloudy situation.

If the photos must come out or will be important to you, I would say steer away from that or a film disposable. Not always predicatable.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ziplocks are our friends

Always take a zip-lock and keep the camera in it when not taking photos; judge for yourself when to take it out. But ...

A few years ago I was trying to get across a brief stretch of sea water in a cove before the next wave came in with a Fujifilm non-waterproof camera in my convertible pants' front pocket. I mis-judged, in came the wave and the water washed up over the pocket with the camera in it. Not sure if the weave of the pants was so good it saved the camera but my pants were soaked at that point and the wet camera still took photos of my travel buddies in the cave I was wading out to. Good thing; I had a month in Thailand next on the itinerary and would have had to go dirt cheap if it needed replacement - shoulda carried it in my hand so I could elevate it above the water, but I was walking on rocks and wanted them both available.

Heh ... Thailand... That's where I learned to get dried elephant snot off the lense with spit and my bandana. :p

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It ain't the camera, it is the photographer.[/QUOTE]

Uh, oh, MB1, I'm already doomed. Nobody ever said I should be shooting covers for Outside magazine, although when I finally said adios to film and took the digital plunge the newer technology has certainly allowed for more trial and error without the cost associated with film. If my shots turn out OK I would like to post some if I can figure out how (still a newbie in the cyber world).
Got the brochure for the ride today and they expect 30,000 riders!!! My number is 40,700 so either way ain't no speed records gonna be set that day. Don't want to even imagine the comical consequenses of an ugly start; human dominos dropping for blocks. Now that would be quite a series of action shots to capture.

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
bmp956 said:
Any thoughts?
um. it rained off and on the entire ride when I posted that front range spring thread and my Nikon dslr survived. yea I tossed my windshell on when it started raining harder but it didn't seem to affect the camera. :grabs D70 sat next to macbook and turns on: yep, she still works just peachy.

if it worries you that much just do the ziplock thing. I considered a bread bag and gaffers' tape for the Nikon but it was only sprinkly / showery intermittently, not a steady downpour.

ymmv.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I saw the weather report today and yea, it's gonna be a nice day after all. Here's a pic from last years start. They pace the front at 15 mph and they figure the back of the pack is travelling at 6mph. Hopefully I can make my way to the front on some of the five bridges we'll be crossing. View attachment 52382
Kind of makes you feel for those out west who are having restrictions set on the number of participants allowed on some tours.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.