Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I go back to the days when you used to get ride patches. I have never, until today, gotten a medal for a century though. Is this a thing?

Attachments

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
I go back to the days when you used to get ride patches. I have never, until today, gotten a medal for a century though. Is this a thing?
It looks like a thing to me. As in something of solid substance. As in, either a thing or an idea. I think it's a thing.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Beer glass sounds like a great prize. Can't do anything with the medal. I guess you could wear it to the grocery store.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some centuries give you cow bells. Others give beer glasses. Some give socks.
The socks I could actually use. This is one of things I should just throw out but I just can't bring myself to do it. It will go in the back of some drawer someone never to be seen again. The only other option is to melt it down for the precious metals:D. The ride was sponsored by a local brewery so a beer glass would have made a lot of sense

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
"Now a nice warm-up suit, that's something you can use, gold medals? They just sit around in a drawer."

-Eric Heiden

·
Cooper1960
526 Posts
I got a few medals, a few pins, a few certificates.....just stuff for the kids to throw out one day as they prepare the house for the estate sale. lol

·
Registered
569 Posts
"Bodensee Rundfahrt" in Germany/Switzerland/Austria (220km) gave medals to finishers
(at least back when we did it, that's about 2-3 decades ago?)
Not sure whether that's still the case.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Haven't done any organized century rides but for a few organized longer rides I've received some token gift. RAIN, RAW and DK200 all provide some memento on completion.

·
Man, I'm Awesome
2,175 Posts
The first century I rode in (2002) I got a cool patch, water bottle, jersey and socks.
They had a guy taking pictures as you crossed the line and I framed that picture with the patch and my number.
This past year at the same century I got a pair of socks. But at least it was twice as expensive. Lol.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I got a medal for finishing a grand fondo and a beer glass for century. I use the beer glass all the time but don't where the medal is. I'm sure some like the medal.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I got a couple beer glasses from events I've done, but they gave them out at the start of the ride, so I don't consider them to be "awards". Kind of like t-shirts, water bottles, and other swag.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
Here in Tejas, the famous Hotter n Hell gives out something to finishers, in past years it's been a medal on a ribbon, a pin, etc.

Some other rides give out patches / pins, in addition of course to the obligatory ugly t shirt.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
The best trinket I ever got from a century was a pair of socks.

The first century I ever did was the Seagull century in 1993. They give you a number to wear that I always just stick in my jersey pocket. I've done it every year since then -- 23 times in a row (except they cancelled it last year because of weather for the first time ever). I've always kept those numbers and written a few notes about the ride, the weather, who I bumped into, etc. The ride has photographers on the course taking pictures (you have a numbered sticker on your helmet). They send samples hoping to sell you the pictures. I keep those and tape them on the number. It's fun to look at every so often.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
My first and and only sponsored/paid century also handed out medals after the ride.

I still have it, reminds me of my newb days.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
I remember back in the 80's, patches were given out after completion of full or metric centuries (they were marked differently) Some people actually sewed them onto a jacket or vest. (I had a hard time not laughing)

Medals are probably cheaper than patches.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I got one of those medal thingys a couple of years ago for a fondo I did. A few months back when I stumbled across it in a drawer, I found that the chain was very rusty. Being that I can barely keep my primary bike chain lubed, I finally pitched it.

Point is if it is of any sentimental value to to you, you've got another chain to maintain lube on (and try not to get the paper greasy in the process).

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've got a few belt buckles from the times I've done the quad-century option on DALMAC (400 miles in 4 days) or when it's had a quint-century option for the 5-day ride. Unlike a medal or a patch, they're actually useful.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts