Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

a century medal?

7K views 30 replies 29 participants last post by  WaynefromOrlando 
#1 ·
I go back to the days when you used to get ride patches. I have never, until today, gotten a medal for a century though. Is this a thing?

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
The socks I could actually use. This is one of things I should just throw out but I just can't bring myself to do it. It will go in the back of some drawer someone never to be seen again. The only other option is to melt it down for the precious metals:D. The ride was sponsored by a local brewery so a beer glass would have made a lot of sense

#10 ·
Haven't done any organized century rides but for a few organized longer rides I've received some token gift. RAIN, RAW and DK200 all provide some memento on completion.

#11 ·
The first century I rode in (2002) I got a cool patch, water bottle, jersey and socks.
They had a guy taking pictures as you crossed the line and I framed that picture with the patch and my number.
This past year at the same century I got a pair of socks. But at least it was twice as expensive. Lol.

#13 ·
I got a couple beer glasses from events I've done, but they gave them out at the start of the ride, so I don't consider them to be "awards". Kind of like t-shirts, water bottles, and other swag.

#15 ·
The best trinket I ever got from a century was a pair of socks.

The first century I ever did was the Seagull century in 1993. They give you a number to wear that I always just stick in my jersey pocket. I've done it every year since then -- 23 times in a row (except they cancelled it last year because of weather for the first time ever). I've always kept those numbers and written a few notes about the ride, the weather, who I bumped into, etc. The ride has photographers on the course taking pictures (you have a numbered sticker on your helmet). They send samples hoping to sell you the pictures. I keep those and tape them on the number. It's fun to look at every so often.

#18 ·
I remember back in the 80's, patches were given out after completion of full or metric centuries (they were marked differently) Some people actually sewed them onto a jacket or vest. (I had a hard time not laughing)

Medals are probably cheaper than patches.

#19 ·
I got one of those medal thingys a couple of years ago for a fondo I did. A few months back when I stumbled across it in a drawer, I found that the chain was very rusty. Being that I can barely keep my primary bike chain lubed, I finally pitched it.

Point is if it is of any sentimental value to to you, you've got another chain to maintain lube on (and try not to get the paper greasy in the process).

#22 ·
I got a stale cheese half-sandwich as the veggie lunch option near the half-way point for my $85 reg fee.

Thankfully my house was only six miles away, further on the route.

Then they took my photo without permission and tried to sell it to me for $15.

#26 ·
Our local century called the All You Can Eat ride gives out a small medal upon completion and for the last couple of years a beer glass and a pair of bike socks but no t-shirt. After the race there is pasta and salad, and yes its all you can eat so long as you don't take too long. Otherwise its eat what's left and grab something on the way home.

I did one of the big Gran Fondos back in 2011 and they gave away a small medal and a jersey, however the cost for that ride was $135 so they hardly gave the jersey away. Our local century is $35, which is probably the lowest cost sporting event in the state: even 5Ks cost that or more and the longer races can rival the Gran Fondo!

#27 ·
All You Can Eat is a good ride. I've done the
Fishtrap metric several times (really "nice" climb) and will be doing the century this year. Funny story, 2 years ago a friend and I had preregistered and on the day of the ride it looked like a really hard cold rain would just miss hitting the course. We drove the 1.5 hours to the ride.....got our packet with the socks. Just as we were starting to unload our bikes, the weather shifted. Cold miserable rain. Neither of us really had the right gear, so after waiting 30 minutes or so, we decided to bail and go home. Counting the entry fee and the gas, those were an expensive pair of socks! Talked with several folks who completed the ride and they said it was some of the most miserable riding conditions they'd experienced. Rained virtually the whole ride. But the pasta was good afterwards.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

#28 ·
I've got a tangled mass of those goofy medals in a bin in the basement. Some were for getting on a podium in a race, one for a state championship TT, lots for just showing up... they all look the same and end up in the same place. What, we're going to wear a *&@^ing medal? Hang them on the mantle? I'd MUCH rather have nice etched pint glass - especially for the "just showing up" rides. Maybe then the podium medals would mean more... maybe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.