Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Edge
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tired of having to cut my rides short so that I get back home before I get stuck in the dark. I thougth of getting one of those 10 watt lighting systems for my bike, but they were at least 100 bucks, about 3 times my budget. So, I found a flashlight that puts out the same (roughly) amount of light at 8 watts and mounted it to my handlebar. It was only after testing that I realized how well it works. The Princeton Tec Surge light run for 5 hours at 7.5 watts, cost 35 bucks delieverd from ebay, and puts out a bright and even beam 100 feet in front of you. It's waterproof and mountes to your handlebars with two cheap hose clamps and some thin rubber gasket material. I'm gonna go out tonight at get some photos and post them if y'all want them. It's on the light side of things too, weighing only slightly more than the 8 AA batteries it uses. No one I know rides for speed at night, so you just want something reliable to get you back home, and I think this is a better way than throwing down some bigger dough for a purpose built lighting system.

·
Charismatic Megafauna
547 Posts
Could you let us know how long it lasts with those batteries?

I'm looking for the Holy Grail of light, bright, cheap and long run time

Thanks

·
The Edge
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Princeton Tec says 3-5 hours.

PseuZQ said:
I'm looking for the Holy Grail of light, bright, cheap and long run time

Thanks
If you can find those lithium AAs, it could last 3 times longer. I plan on using Energizer rechargables that I already have. I'll let you know how it goes. Total cost of the light and mount comes out to 37 bucks.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I'm curious why you resurrected a 7-year-old thread to say thanks to someone who hasn't posted anything on any subject in more than a year.

FWIW, LED lighting technology has been advancing by leaps and bounds in recent years, and there are lots of recent threads on this board discussing all sorts of products.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I'm curious why you resurrected a 7-year-old thread to say thanks to someone who hasn't posted anything on any subject in more than a year.

FWIW, LED lighting technology has been advancing by leaps and bounds in recent years, and there are lots of recent threads on this board discussing all sorts of products.
Early release on his 10 year prison term? Maybe this has been eating at him the last seven years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.