Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, having completed the century ride the week before, I decided to see if I could do several passes in a row. I didn't want it to be too hard so I chose three local passes just south of where on the live. Kingsbury Grade into Lake Tahoe, California, followed by Luther Pass and a climb up to a basin called Blue Lakes. We started at near 8:00 am and there was already a lot of moisture in the air. I was a little concerned as we climbed up Kingsbury Grade with the start of thunderstorms already taking place. Dropping into Tahoe had its regular bit of traffic but we only stayed along the lake for a couple of miles before heading out toward Luther Pass.

Also, not sure how I linked these irritating links in. New one for me :).

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Heading Up to Luther Pass

We started getting sprinkles on the climb up Luther but somehow threaded the needle between the worst of the storms. I was pretty happy we weren't getting drenched. And then we were screaming down the other side into Hope Valley and lunch!

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hope Valley and Blue Lakes Road

We stopped in Hope Valley to eat lunch and keep an eye on the weather. So far we had been lucky so we figured that we might as well see if we were on a role. So, after lunch we headed up California SR 88 and turned off toward Blue Lakes with ominous black clouds lurking above.

If anyone knows the owner of the exciting hat I found I left it hanging up there :).

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Into Blue Lakes - Well Almost

The pass at Blue Lakes is at 8200 feet. We didn't quite make it. With more and more lightening coming down around us we began to encounter more and more snow on the road. After a cyclocross attempt we had to give up and turn around. Up ahead of us at the top though was a motorcycle that had mired in up past its axles. Crazy.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Back to the Desert

And then it was long downhill back to the desert and our waiting cars. We managed to dodge all the rain and lightening by some miracle but got caught in one heck of a headwind at the end of the ride.

·
What Would Google Do.
1,486 Posts
Stunning stuff, Im really jelous! - such awe inspiring scenery to ride though, great photos!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
You wanted something that wouldn`t be very hard and you found that ride? You ARE maniacs. I`ve never ridden any highway passes (unless you count Beckwourth), but I think I`m ready to try some this year. Not like that, though- probably Carson City, Spooner, Kingsbury, Carson for a first Sierra ride. That`s how sane people think.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,037 Posts
So lemme get this straight ... You rise from the dead to "try on" a century, that goes well so then you "try on" a ride like this?

I've gone from being happy for you to despising the very fabric of your being. :wink:

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Sweet, sweet looking ride.

You lucked out on the weather.

Love them closed roads.

I see the lil' woman is sporting a Lounge Jersey, does she understand all the stuff on it?

G

·
And just so you know, my two daughters would kill to get their mitts on that High School Musical toque.

It has Zach Efron on it!!!

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
So lemme get this straight ... You rise from the dead to "try on" a century, that goes well so then you "try on" a ride like this?

I've gone from being happy for you to despising the very fabric of your being. :wink:

Very suspicious. I think that Ridgetop's photo essays should be posted in the Doping Forum. :rolleyes: He is starting to remind me of that guy from Texas who was on death's doorstep and then came back to win some big bike race in France -- seven times. :p

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's funny Mark. :) The stuff they've got me on makes me feel better but I'm still very, very slow on these rides. It's sometimes disheartening how slow, but at least I'm riding again. I'll aim for the Tour next year :).

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wish I had kept that hat. I didn't have anywhere to stick it. I figured some little girl was crying her eyes out after she realized it was gone.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's my wife in the Lounge jersey. I still don't think she really understands all the stuff on it but she loves the kit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts