Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My name is Mark. I'm addicted to Olympic curling. I've been known to waste hrs in front of the TV watching grown men and women sliding chunks of granite down a long isle of ice. Please help me.:p

·
gazing from the shadows
27,224 Posts
You are not alone. The US curling association web site crashed from all the hits recently. People are hooked.

We have a club in town, and I told my wife we could go and try it. Any sport where your drink is that easy to keep cold (just set it on the ice) is all right in my book.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,224 Posts
I heard it said that for the price of a pair of shoes and a broom you can start on the path to olympic glory. Besides, 50 cent beers means you can't lose!

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
I just found out about a curling night at a local athletic facility! Apparently they are going to offer curling lessons and 50 cent beers! What a great idea, I may have found a new past time.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
dr hoo said:
I heard it said that for the price of a pair of shoes and a broom you can start on the path to olympic glory. Besides, 50 cent beers means you can't lose!
The game is absolutely fantastic. I have been watching it every morning. Women's curling is better than men's when the Russians are playing. Alas, there are no curling opportunities in San Diego. But, I have read that someone is marketing a new "street curling" game. I think you can get much the same thrills from a good game of Bocce.

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
Kram59 said:
Hi. My name is Mark. I'm addicted to Olympic curling. I've been known to waste hrs in front of the TV watching grown men and women sliding chunks of granite down a long isle of ice. Please help me.:p
My first suggestion is to slide the chunk of granite down an aisle of ice, not an isle.

Seriously, I watched it Friday night at a bar during happy hour, and then I watched us get beat by Canada this morning. I really like this "sport." It is addicting. More fun to watch than the Daytona 500.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,224 Posts
morrison said:
The game is absolutely fantastic. I have been watching it every morning. Women's curling is better than men's when the Russians are playing.
The US women from Bemidji... my classes are full of fine upstanding young women just like that.

·
Twitterpated
3,116 Posts
Kram59 said:
Yea! Curling is one of those things that captivates you, but you don't know exactly why. It's kind of the "Arrested Development" of the sports world.

Although, I have a fairly good grasp of the sport, I haven't got a clue what the play-by-play announcers are talking about! :)

Thanks,
Tshirt

G

·
4bykn said:
My first suggestion is to slide the chunk of granite down an aisle of ice, not an isle.

Seriously, I watched it Friday night at a bar during happy hour, and then I watched us get beat by Canada this morning. I really like this "sport." It is addicting. More fun to watch than the Daytona 500.
OK - Noobs!!!

It is neither an Isle, nor is it an aisle - it is a sheet. There may be a number of sheets in your curling club, but it is a sheet.

Sheesh - noobs!

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Kram59 said:
Hello Mark. My name is Dan and I too am captivated by curling. I don't understand, if I start watching I can't shut it off. Every match is different and once they throw a stone the outcome is never certain. It's just simple stupid fun. Sorta like chatting online...

* * * Back to my closet to watch some more. Go USA, Go USA, beat those Brits :eek: :eek: :eek: * * *

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
toomanybikes said:
It is neither an Isle, nor is it an aisle - it is a sheet.
Sheesh - noobs!
I thought "aisle" was Canadian for sheet. ;)

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry. I didn't have enough to drink yet today.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts