Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife bought a recumbent today. Yep, we picked it up and she did a 20 mile ride with me. I had bought her a hybrid last year, but it was too painful for her. The lower back pain limited her rides to less than 20 miles. Today after we finished up she said she felt great. Hopefully this is the ticket to getting her onto longer rides with me. I'd love to see her do a century with me at the Hotter than Hell this year.

Only down side is I have to load it onto the Liberty and drive around with it. Gotta figure out how to break the news to my friends though... ;)

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
I went on a group ride this week that included a recumbent.

This one, unlike most 'bents I see, wasn't manned by a bearded professor type with a mirror on his helmet.

It was a fit cyclist in lycra, and the recumbent had 700C tri-spoke wheels.

Seriously, it was like motorpacing. Dude didn't accelerate that madly, but just smoothly spun it up to about 50 k/hr. All I could do was hang onto the wheel. It was funny, after a few k of this the entire rest of the group was just shattered; once you fell off the pace there wasn't any way to chase back on. Hah! 'Bent guy said that speed did take a lot of effort, but that he could probably hold it for twenty minutes. On a "standard" bike, that's lance / jan speed.

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah, she could cruise. After an initial period of getting the feel for it, she was cruising along at an easy 20 mph. This from someone who really doesn't ride much. Once she learns how to maximize the gearing on that thing she'll be flying. That's the first time I've really been around one, I was impressed at just how well she could cruise along. I'm almost dreading what it will be like once she builds her legs up. I look forward to the faster pace, but the first time she drops me it will be a tough pill to swallow. My only excuse will be that I'm on the Cross Check hauling my daughter in the carrier (you guys will back me up on the one right???). I'll have to start pulling out the road bike when I'm with her just so I can keep up.

The one thing I did notice was how well she could hold a line with it. Once she got going she was holding a nice straight line, maybe it's a little more intuitive as far as steering goes? I don't know, but I was impressed. Again, she's probably only put about 100-150 miles on her hybrid since she got it last August with average speeds in the low, low teens. To go from that to a 20 mile ride that averaged in the high teens with max speeds in the upper 20's just amazed me. There's still a learning curve for her on starting, but once she gets the hang of that there'll be no catching her. I think it's awesome.

p.s. Any of you guys with recumbents have a carrier you can recommend? I was looking at the Thule roof rack, but didn't know if there was anything better. I can't just strap it to the top of the Jeep Liberty with tie-down straps because I don't want to scratch up the paint, and she isn't comfortable enough to leave from the house yet. Too many busy streets in the beginning of our ride for her, at least 'til she's more comfortable with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.