Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D OK so this isn't the most interesting post in the world but it seems like a slow day.What's the nicest looking crankset/chain ring you can think of.They can be current or vintage.A picture would be nice to.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,070 Posts
FSA Carbon Superlight.

Spiffy!

Mountain bonus pick:

2003 XTR. Shiny. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
Record--the ALLOY ones.

I realize that tastes differ but this one seems so obvious to me that I can barely get my mind around the fact that I'm nominating something that won't even be considered a contender. Recent vintage, alloy, campagnolo cranksets are, IMO, some of the nicest looking pieces of bike componentry I've ever seen.
 

·
Domestic Drivin' E-Thug
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
I just bought these

pedlfoot said:
:D OK so this isn't the most interesting post in the world but it seems like a slow day.What's the nicest looking crankset/chain ring you can think of.They can be current or vintage.A picture would be nice to.
The sweetest cranks will be IRD's new CF Typhoons, but they're not coming out until May at least. I just orderd a set of Thorius Schanklas though. Should be arriving this week.

https://www.thoriusbike.com/immagini/Schankla.jpg
 

·
ready for retirement
Joined
·
68 Posts
I remember this from the time when I became serious about cycling. Saw it in a Trek catalog on a steel bike of the mid to late '80s. Ofmega Mistral. Not sure of their quality status, just remembered that I liked the look of them at the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,115 Posts
Oh, c'mon--Cook Bros.! Cook Bros.! Cook Bros.!

...either the original E-crank or the E2, in any of the anodized colors. The cobalt blue (below) was great, as was the red--just wish I had a photo of the purple ones on my old CF Univega.
 

·
Cipo's long lost cousin
Joined
·
975 Posts
Mavic... Hands down...

Dead sexy cranks

<img src=https://www.classicrendezvous.com/images/French/Mavic/MavCr2L.jpg>

Wish I had a better pict... These are from CR...

<img src=https://www.classicrendezvous.com/images/French/Mavic/MavCrk3L.jpg>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,126 Posts
Campy C-Record.. Best looking EVERYTHING!

From cranks, hubs, derailleurs, delta brakes, colbato brakes... the best looking bike parts of all time. Campy C-Record is and forever will be the group by which every other group made will have to measure up to in beauty. Nothing before it was as pretty, and nothing since has been either. It was the pinnacle of component design.

Have you ever seen that stuff in pristine condition up close and personal? It's pure art. And the best of that group was the C-Record high flange hubs. Nothing like them.

Rumour has it that Prince wrote and Sinead sang "Nothing Compares To You" about a 1988 Campagnolo C-Record groupo.


Russ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Get a hold of yourself man....

russw19 said:
From cranks, hubs, derailleurs, delta brakes, colbato brakes... the best looking bike parts of all time. Campy C-Record is and forever will be the group by which every other group made will have to measure up to in beauty. Nothing before it was as pretty, and nothing since has been either. It was the pinnacle of component design.

Have you ever seen that stuff in pristine condition up close and personal? It's pure art. And the best of that group was the C-Record high flange hubs. Nothing like them.

Rumour has it that Prince wrote and Sinead sang "Nothing Compares To You" about a 1988 Campagnolo C-Record groupo.


Russ
..I think you've gone over the edge!!! But seriously, do ya like em' ? :D
 

·
angel of the morning
Joined
·
2,984 Posts
frank rizzo's favorite for the alps ....

not the whole crankset but you get the idea - oh yeah them teeth is a good old 51/53. it's actually known as a TA Criterium chainring set. i love the knobby chainring bolts and you could also buy many adapter plates for it which enabled you to use many different crank manufacturers of the day.

also below is a herse triple crankset - pretty and pricey if you can find one.

and lastly i have an example by Art Stump - the master of drillium and fancy modified bike schwag (google his name).

other fave's include the stronlight 105 bis (similar to 93 but with drilled rings) and of course the campy c-record. any drillium is cool !!!

ciao
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
No doubt it would have to be Campagnolo C-Record cranks. Absolutely the most beautiful crankset ever produced. Mine are going on 17 years old and I still prefer the look of them over any of the other cranksets I've owned.
 

·
angel of the morning
Joined
·
2,984 Posts
his call is very fair ....

pedlfoot said:
..I think you've gone over the edge!!! But seriously, do ya like em' ? :D
c-record is as pretty a groupset as was ever made .... the cranks are the sould of the set.

ciao
 

·
Skinny Legged XC MTB geek
Joined
·
80 Posts
Some sweet components

pedlfoot said:
:D OK so this isn't the most interesting post in the world but it seems like a slow day.What's the nicest looking crankset/chain ring you can think of.They can be current or vintage.A picture would be nice to.
Extralite e-bones, from Italy and Boone Ti rings made in the USA. Both are beautiful and light.
 

·
Call me a Fred
Joined
·
16,999 Posts
Cranks are just cranks.

I just can't get excited about what a crank looks like. As long as they go around and around without problems, I couldn't care less what they look like. There is one type that does look really bad and that was those L shaped crank arms from a few years back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Top Three

Never being one to subscribe to a single best of anything I've decided to list three, in no particular order.

1. Mavic. very pretty
2. Sugino Super Mighty, back when they made them in a 144 bolt pattern with the machined out spider and the embossed crown with an "S" in it. Very cool.
3. Miche SuperType cranks. Cool, cool, cool.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top