Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Especially on days when the temp doesn't get above 29 and th esun is bright enough to melt some of the snow, which then freezes as it crosses the road. Made for a very interesting 22 miles ;) Here are some pics. I didn't go down, but one section was really hairy-note to self-stay on roads that are either
1) well travelled
2) receive a lot of sun
3) are plowed and salted- a lot!
If you look oiff in the distance on the 2nd pic, you'll see the local ski area, Ski Roundtop. A little blip of a mountain, but hey, it's close!

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An old Gitane. I have it set up with a 1x9, 42 front, 11-34 rear. Gives me a fairly wide ratio and it's cheap and light. Cxp 33 rims, 105 rear hub, old mavic front, 36 hole rims, almost indestructible :) Right now I have a barcon on it but I have a Paul's thumbie to put on as soon as the lbs gets in tape that will match the bike; have to rip off tape to put it on :( Thanks

·
Administrator
12,969 Posts
Yep I loved having the Redline to ride in the slop and on the trainer and saving my main ride for the nicer days to come. They are coming right? ;)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Year round trail riding and Urban assualt

But well im building a CX SS next. So ill just lacking gears.

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
I took the MUT yesterday

Kram59 said:
Especially on days when the temp doesn't get above 29 and th esun is bright enough to melt some of the snow, which then freezes as it crosses the road. Made for a very interesting 22 miles ;) Here are some pics. I didn't go down, but one section was really hairy-note to self-stay on roads that are either
1) well travelled
2) receive a lot of sun
3) are plowed and salted- a lot!
If you look oiff in the distance on the 2nd pic, you'll see the local ski area, Ski Roundtop. A little blip of a mountain, but hey, it's close!

In the Maryland suburbs of DC I took an MUT to the LBS to make some repairs to the headset of my fixie. Where they weren't flooded, they were coverd with large chunks of ice/slush. At one point a lake had flooded and frozen over the path--that was the section I walked. Some 1 1/4 conti touring tires got me through it with considerable work. Needless to say, I took the roads on the way home.

--Kevin

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
you can say that again

We've had a solid week of snowy, crappy roads and below freezing temps, which is actually unusual for Boulder. I finally broke down and put fenders on my 'cross bike. I should have done this quite some time ago. The irony of putting $20 fenders on a high-zoot Italian 'cross bike wasn't lost on my ride buddies at Saturday's slush-fest. They gave me endless grief. Well - at least until their butts got wet and mine didn't.

Friday I got 2 hours in on a combo of paved and dirt (read: mud) roads on the 'crossie. The bike is a mess, but everything except my feet and shins stayed clean and dry.

MB1 is definitely onto something. The fenders I got are the cheap plastic kind that quick-mount on the down tube / seatpost, not the nice full-coverage Euro kind like MB1 and Miss M have (Colnagos are notoriously lacking in fender mounts), but they definitely help!

The good thing about cheap clip-on fenders is you can switch 'em from bike to bike quickly. I stuck them on the Morgul today and did a 4 hour grovel. Froze my bum off, then bonked on the way home, bleah.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
missed you LFR, welcome back, post more! (nm)

she's turning blue while i just sit and stare at you

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been wanting to get fenders for mine, too. Mine has mounts, so I could go MB1 style. Nice to have that 42-34 to haul my extra Jan Ulrich-like 8-10 lbs up some of those hills. Sheesh, I've got to drop a few!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Cages?

I have an older cx make unknown without water bottle braze-ons. How did you mount yours?

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
We saw a lot of uncomfortable wet riders on Saturday.

There were a lot of riders out Saturday, a few of them actually had fenders. We saw a couple of big groups where all the riders were just covered with wet crud. I don't think they could ride like that for very long.

Fenders in the off season make a lot of sense for racers too.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The old metal clamp around the tube. Ain't elegant, but it works for now. I'll have my LBS put in some cage bosses this spring or summer on the downtube-those metal bands would chew the be-jesus out of you if you tried to throw the bike over the shoulder in a race!

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Nashbar has Zefals on sale for $20. I'm ordering them tomorrow.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just ordered them. :D

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Rain? Snow? What're they?

MB1 said:
There were a lot of riders out Saturday, a few of them actually had fenders. We saw a couple of big groups where all the riders were just covered with wet crud. I don't think they could ride like that for very long.

Fenders in the off season make a lot of sense for racers too.
I guess it all depends on where you live. Here in San Diego, it's going to be about 70 and sunny again tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after, and...

When I lived around DC, I didn't run them, but every once in a while I wished I owned a pair...

Mike

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Eat sh*t and die :( (kidding!) It was 45 today and felt like it was about 70. It's going to be 30-35 tomorrow so I'll be out riding before work. Got to take advantage of the "heat wave". :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts